Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading on Three - Shorter contract

• 13-08-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I have been with three for 19 months, and have put off upgrading my phone until the launch of x-series. Last week I upgraded my phone they told me that my contract would be extended by twelve months. I was ok with this, but then they told me that it was twelve months from the end of my last contract.

My last contract expired in January, so my new contract will expire next January. Just a five month contract extension. This means I will be able to upgrade my phone again in five months.

From memory this appears to be different from O2 and Vodafone. I remember upgrading in the past with both of these and my contract was extended for 12 months from the date of upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Who told you this? Doesn't sound right to me. Remember their customer care couldn't find their collective arse with both hands and a map.

As an example of this: i cancelled my 3 contract in june but i'm still getting 3 alert texts to the number that's now on meteor. I rang 3 to get them to stop and 2 separate agents suggested after putting me on hold to ask the technical team that i should go to My3 on my handset to cancel it. F*cking retards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

They are reading off a script, but they definitely said to me that my contract will be extended for 12 months from the date of my last contract, and they even stated January 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

randomer wrote:
    They are reading off a script, but they definitely said to me that my contract will be extended for 12 months from the date of my last contract, and they even stated January 2008.

Call again and record the conversation.

Then no matter what you will be able to Upgrade again even if the agent is talking through his arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

you were still paying monthly as if u had renewed, guess thats the way they see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Good idea if you want to break the law by recording somebody without their permission, and how will that help exactly????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Tell them you are recording it. Now, it's legal.

Walkman wrote:
    Good idea if you want to break the law by recording somebody without their permission, and how will that help exactly????

I don't think it is illegal to record someone without their permission. My understanding is that as long as one of the parties are aware that the call is being recorded then it is legal.

I don't see any need to record it. I am happy enough that it is correct.

randomer wrote:
    I don't think it is illegal to record someone without their permission. My understanding is that as long as one of the parties are aware that the call is being recorded then it is legal.
    so as long as the person who chose to record it is aware that they've pressed the record button its legal to record someone without their knowledge!?

it is illegal to record someone without their knowledge

so as long as the person who chose to record it is aware that they've pressed the record button its legal to record someone without their knowledge!?

it is illegal to record someone without their knowledge

Dude, I think you should read up on the subject matter before making statements like this.

Provided one of the parties is aware, then it is legal to record the conversation.

The following link gives a good summary of the legal position of recording telephone conversations:

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0410&L=irishlaw&D=0&O=D&T=0&P=1565

randomer wrote:
    Dude, I think you should read up on the subject matter before making statements like this.

Provided one of the parties is aware, then it is legal to record the conversation.

The following link gives a good summary of the legal position of recording telephone conversations:

if i understand that correctly, you can call anyone you want, record them without telling them and tie them into a legally binding contract without their knowledge. are we living in soviet russia or something !?

i'm going to phone someone and tell them i want them to say "i agree to pay commander vimes €1000" for the laugh and then turn on my tape recorder. cha ching. what's your number randomer?

or have i read it wrong? please tell me i read it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

if i understand that correctly, you can call anyone you want, record them without telling them and tie them into a legally binding contract without their knowledge. are we living in soviet russia or something !?
    Oral contracts have a legal standing. When I changed over to three using their telesales, I didn't have to sign anything - just gave my credit card details over the phone.

Oral contracts have a legal standing. When I changed over to three using their telesales, I didn't have to sign anything - just gave my credit card details over the phone.
    but you were made aware that you were agreeing to a legally binding contract rather than being recorded without your knowledge. agreeing to a contract over the phone is fine. being told i've already agreed to one without realising it would piss me off

but you were made aware that you were agreeing to a legally binding contract rather than being recorded without your knowledge. agreeing to a contract over the phone is fine. being told i've already agreed to one without realising it would piss me off

A contract requires offer, acceptance, and consideration...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I seem to recall that my contract with 3 was extended from when it expired, not when I upgraded, so we can probably avoid involving solicitors and recording devices and just take their word for it.

randomer wrote:
    A contract requires offer, acceptance, and consideration...
    but the link you provided says you can record someone without their knowledge and tie them into a contract.

What a person says off the record and what they say when they're being recorded are very different things.

This case is a perfect example of what's wrong with such a situation. If you ask 3 customer care a question you have about a 20% chance of getting it answered correctly. Several times i've asked them things and then asked them their names. When i asked them their names they put me on hold to confirm what they had just told me.

My point is what they say to get you off the phone and what they say when they're being held accountable are rarely the same

but the link you provided says you can record someone without their knowledge and tie them into a contract.

What a person says off the record and what they say when they're being recorded are very different things.

This case is a perfect example of what's wrong with such a situation. If you ask 3 customer care a question you have about a 20% chance of getting it answered correctly. Several times i've asked them things and then asked them their names. When i asked them their names they put me on hold to
    confirm what they had just told me.

My point is what they say to get you off the phone and what they say when they're being held accountable are rarely the same

You can record someone without their knowledge.

You can tie them into a contract, but it needs to have offer, acceptance and consideration.

The comments made by three are not "off the record".

They did not say anything to get me off the phone. They told me because that was what was on their script, and I do believe that this is correct.

If you want to just post something random now, so that you can have the last word that is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

randomer wrote:

Perhaps you should read it more carefully. :)

That is about a third party, so if we were on the phone, someone else can't record it unless one of us has agreed to it with the third party. It then goes on to say business can do this as long as it is in the T&Cs, this is why most companies tell you the conversations are recorded.

You can not legally record a conversation without consent and then try to hold someone to their word.

(Sorry about th OT)

randomer wrote:
    The comments made by three are not "off the record".

They did not say anything to get me off the phone. They told me because that was what was on their script, and I do believe that this is correct.
    you misunderstand me. i mean that they're more careful with what they say if they can be held accountable for it. one of them actually hung up on me before because i knew he'd just told me something wrong and i asked to speak to a manager.

randomer wrote:
    You can record someone without their knowledge.

You can tie them into a contract, but it needs to have offer, acceptance and consideration.
    that may well be the law. what is law and what is right often don't go hand in hand.

randomer wrote:
    If you want to just post something random now, so that you can have the last word that is fine.
    what are you being like that for? i've been nothing but polite to you. please extend me the same courtesy.

also, here's a link quoting the english law on such things so i think its safe to assume the irish law is similar: http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-uk.htm
    The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, i.e. someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication.

According to Oftel, you do not have to let people know that you intend to record their telephone conversations, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.
    so you can record them and get them to say whatever you want but you can't prove they said it because you can't legally play it for anyone. assuming the irish law is similar of course and i hope to god it is.

Advertisement