Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Series thoughts so far?

• 13-08-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I have been looking forward to X-Series since I heard about it in December.

Finally I got my x-series phone on Friday, and apart from browsing a few websites I haven't really made use of any of the features on it.

I don't yet have access to Mobilemail (which is one of the key apps that I am looking for, so that I can get rid of my blackberry and carry just one device), but to be honest I am a little disappointed.

The phone itself (Nokia E65) is excellent. My favourite feature so far is the VOIP SIP Client on the phone. I have set up my mobile to act as a wireless VOIP phone and configured it to work with blueface. Now when my blueface phone rings I can answer it from my mobile.

I was looking forward to the Slingbox, but the fact that are charging €199 for that is out of order, considering a new customer signing up in the UK gets it for free! I questioned the customer support people about this and they just kept telling me that "it is a different country and they have different offers".

I am going to install a few other bits and pieces on the phone over the coming days, but is there really any advantage of using X-Series over Mobile Broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

randomer wrote:
    The phone itself (Nokia E65) is excellent. My favourite feature so far is the VOIP SIP Client on the phone. I have set up my mobile to act as a wireless VOIP phone and configured it to work with blueface. Now when my blueface phone rings I can answer it from my mobile.

Is it possible to use this with X-series (Mobile Broadband) as well as wifi so if you are on the move you can still use voip? if so whats the quality like? and whats the quality like over wifi how many sip accounts can you set up?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

mcguyver wrote:
    Is it possible to use this with X-series (Mobile Broadband) as well as wifi so if you are on the move you can still use voip? if so whats the quality like? and whats the quality like over wifi how many sip accounts can you set up?

Thanks.

I don't have X-Series but I do have the unlimited internet add-on on 3pay. I'm using an E60 (same features in regards to VoIP as the E65).

I tried using SIP over 3G and while it does work for a little while, the connection seems to lose its registration with the server quickly (after a few minutes of no activity). So if I log in to the VoIP server and then wait a few minutes and then ring the VoIP number, the phone is no longer responding. When I log out and back in again it works again for a while. I have a feeling this is due to their NAT gateway which might be closing the port after some time of inactivity.

Also, the connection quality is very dependent on how busy it is on the 3 network. Sometimes I don't get into the VoIP server at all, sometimes it works but the call is stuttering, and sometimes it works OK for a while. Very often I get the call set up but no audio.

So in theory it works, yes, but making practical use of it is not possible. Even the signalling drops after a few minutes.

But of course, this is on 3pay with Mobile internet, it may be different on bill pay with X-series. I just wanted to add my experiences because I don't expect there are many people out there having tried this yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

randomer wrote:
    I was looking forward to the Slingbox, but the fact that are charging €199 for that is out of order, considering a new customer signing up in the UK gets it for free! I questioned the customer support people about this and they just kept telling me that "it is a different country and they have different offers".

I was in PCWorld today and they are selling the Slingbox for €149.

Advertisement