Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worries about HD content protection in Vista

• 13-08-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok after reading through this article about Vistas DRM and content protection I have a decidedly unnerving feeling about my move to Vista.

Can someone please confirm something for me though as to how it knows if the material is copyrighted or not? I mean if a video plays at 1080p will it automatically be degraded if it doesn't meet Vistas requirements.

For example, if I was to download this FREE 1080p clip: elephants dream does it mean that its quality will be degraded in Vista compared to XP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A better analysis of Peter Gutmann's (somewhat flawed presentation) can be found here now I'm not totally dismissing his work but he makes a few claims that dont hold up implying DRM is the cause when it is not.

As for the Vista DRM it only kicks in if the content is DRM'd and the copyright holder sets down restrictions in the file for playback under no other circumstances does it kick in (as far as I'm aware). This ability for DRM content to "cripple the OS" has been present in Windows as far back as WindowsME,2K,XP however no-one has ever really used it.

The DRM controls have no effect on content that does not have DRM so the clip you link to will playback fine. I've gone through just about every type of HD content (freed from DRM) in terms of video and audio on my Vista box and it never once complained or refused to run anything that includes decryption software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

But then why is he saying it will affect home videos recorded in HD? Why would home videos have DRM protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Because he is an anti-DRM campaigner (which I have no problem with) but he is making claims to support his argument based off suspect information or third hand accounts (which I do have a problem with).

Example which Ars also touches on the claim he makes that a $100 video card outperforms a $1,000 video card on Vista because of DRM is complete and total bollocks with not a shred of truth to any of it.

For the home recorded video Ars says they tested two HD camcorders with Vista which recorded in HD and there were no problems at all & asked their readers for any proof backing up the claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I work with lots of video - HD, widescreen, everything across the board. I do lots of editing in Vista. To date, I have had no issues with any content not working because of DRM.

Also, the DRM in Vista appears to be integrated into the Media Centre. Even if you come across a file which has inadvertently had some DRM protections mistakenly put on it, there are a rake of free programmes that will remove the DRM and/or display the file for you freely available all over the net.

Of all the reasons people have given not to switch to Vista, this is one that really has no merit.

I myself, am also not a fan of DRM, but to date, have had no DRM related issues in Vista.

Advertisement