Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choosing A Network

• 13-08-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Ok, so...I need some opinions from people on which mobile network I should use.

Last year around May, I bought a new phone (Moto RAZR V3x) and switched from o2 to Vodafone keeping my original 086 number. Now I am thinking of switching to Meteor as I am interested in the free texts and 'Phone a Friend for Free' offer that they now have. I know that if I switch to Meteor I will get the added credit to my account on registration so that is also handy. But in the long run is it worth it? Whats reception and charges like? Do o2 offer a better service these days or should I stick to Vodafone?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

hey, i think you should switch to meteor, i haven't ever been on 02 but i can say for sure that they are better than vodafone, There charges are the cheapest of the lot and there reception is very good nowadays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I am a Meteor fan too.

I was on O2 & moved about 3 years ago.

I have experienced very few problems (cant say that there were no problems but the ones that I did experience were small & easily dealt with by their customer support!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

AdamDee wrote:
    Ok, so...I need some opinions from people on which mobile network I should use.

Last year around May, I bought a new phone (Moto RAZR V3x) and switched from o2 to Vodafone keeping my original 086 number. Now I am thinking of switching to Meteor as I am interested in the free texts and 'Phone a Friend for Free' offer that they now have. I know that if I switch to Meteor I will get the added credit to my account on registration so that is also handy. But in the long run is it worth it? Whats reception and charges like? Do o2 offer a better service these days or should I stick to Vodafone?

Your thoughts?

It all depends on your usage, try using www.callcosts.ie

Switching to 3 from Vodafone halved my wife's monthly bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AdamDee

Good to get some feedback on the matter, thanks!

One other thing, whats the story with carrying over credit? Is it possible? Only on some networks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I moved from meteor bill pay to 3 bill pay also and saved loads, not to mention the planet3 content, although customer care not the best but for money saving I think 3 are the one's to go with.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

I work for Vodafone so stick with them. Ha ha.

Seriously, you should choose the network that most of your family and friends are one. If no-one's on Vodafone that's not much use, and vice versa if no-one's on Meteor the same.

Vodafone have improved greatly with their free texts (same as Meteor) and the free weekends offer so they're better compared to Meteor than they used to be. They have better roaming and have just added the USA to prepay roaming so that might make a difference. And they definitely have the best network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Ya Vodafone are much better - if you wanna get ripped off every month!!!!
    Both pre-pay and bill pay way more expensive than 3 or meteor.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I think if you want customer service and to get someone that knows exactly what they are talking about when you need help the I would go for
    1 - o2
    2 - Vodafone
    3 - Meteor
    4 - Three

Vice versa, if you want the widest choice of handsets, then go with vodafone as nobody has a patch on them with payg but o2 are improving.

Meteor are the cheapest if you know alot of people on meteor. But every network is the same. Every network will offer incentives for call within the network. o2 friends, vodafone weekends and three have free calls with certain price plans.

Data wise three are the best in Ireland by far, I am with o2 billpay and 3pay and I was with vodafone and meteor before and I find three really good for data whereas the rest are really expensive.

Hope this helps you but as Buddy said, stick to the network that most of the people around you are on as you will get the best deals with that network and you will ultimately save the most money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

If you do the calculations then O2 seems to be the cheapest. I am considering changing 'cos the O2 coverage where I live is crap, and the customer service says it won't improve!!. When I had a look at callcosts.ie, on almost every option O2 still seems to be the best. Meteor is second, but Meteor doesn't give unused minutes carryover, for billpay, but overall diff in price is about €5 a month, AFAICS.

So?

Is Meteor's coverage better??

Bye, Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

depends where u live. Most of the country seems ti be covered by them, i was down in cork for a weekend a while back and it switched over to vodafone so atleast you know you'll have good reception with them.

• Advertisement

skearon wrote:
    It all depends on your usage, try using www.callcosts.ie
    I'm waiting for Vimes to freak it! ;)

Anyway, I was on O2 for a long time. It was fine when my family were with them too but one by one they all switched to Vodafone. I then found myself spending 63c per minute to call them during the day.

So your best bet would be to look at what networks you'll be calling/texting the most and make a decision from there. I know it sucks to make your decision based on others but hey, what can ya do? There is an exception though... calling Vodafone from a Meteor phone can actually be cheaper than calling from Vodafone themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

best on bill-pay is 3 then meteor if you dont mind paying up to €300 non-returnable deposit lol they apply it to your account after 6months to try forcing you to stay with them till you have used the credit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

foggy_lad wrote:
    best on bill-pay is 3 then meteor if you dont mind paying up to €300 non-returnable deposit lol they apply it to your account after 6months to try forcing you to stay with them till you have used the credit!
    €300? Based on what? I signed up with Meteor and for domestic services I didn't have to pay anything.

I then had the choice of paying €60 for roaming and €60 for international if I wanted.

Advertisement