Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp My Society ('07/'08)

Options
  • 13-08-2007 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

Wazzup, Sang-rizzo in the hizzo!

This is the thread to pimp your society or ask questions about societies in UCD.

All further threads on the matter will be referred to this thread and locked.

You can refer to this thread for some established pimping:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055120948

Do not start posting on it though as it doesn't have a long lifeline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The Archaeological Society is one to watch this year
    • Nights in Castles
    • Displays of Weapons
    • Day Trips
    • Overseas Trips

Also forgot

Belfield FM

UCD's Student run Radio Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The Kevin Barry Cumann (KBC) is the political society for Fianna Fáil The Republican Party. You'll see us at our stand in the Freshers Week. See our website for further details at www.kbc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

The UCD Ultimate Frisbee club is a great sports club to join. Ultimate frisbee is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and the UCD club is one of the best University clubs in Ireland.

Ultimate is a fun game played by guys and girls, indoors and outdoors. The club has a great social aspect aswell as a real competetive aspect, participating in competetions around Ireland, the UK and in Europe. Beginners and experienced players are always welcome, with a great beginners season starting in September.

For more info on Ultimate frisbee check out:
    UCD ultimate frisbee club: www.ucd.ie/ultimate
    The Irish flying disc association: http://www.irishultimate.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Join The Philosophy Society, the one stop shop for all your highbrow needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

thebigmc wrote:
    The UCD Ultimate Frisbee club is a great sports club to join. Ultimate frisbee is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and the UCD club is one of the best University clubs in Ireland.

Ultimate is a fun game played by guys and girls, indoors and outdoors. The club has a great social aspect aswell as a real competetive aspect, participating in competetions around Ireland, the UK and in Europe. Beginners and experienced players are always welcome, with a great beginners season starting in September.

For more info on Ultimate frisbee check out:
    UCD ultimate frisbee club: www.ucd.ie/ultimate
    The Irish flying disc association: http://www.irishultimate.com/index.php

This shall be one society that I shall most certainly be joining. Love playing that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Join the UCD Dodgeball Club, it's great craic and a good way to keep active if you don't have any great interest in sport. Plenty of trips away for those who want to. There are two planned trips already to Newcastle in November and to Glasgow in Feb. Glasgow last year was the best weekend ever.

Also the ELS (English Literary Society), it sounds boring and stuffy, but it really isn't - we just didn't want to change the name because it's been around for over 100 years or something to that effect. It's great for anyone who's interested in Creative Writing and it's a great laugh. There's also a weekend away, which is always good fun.

College Tribune - Get involved, there's many different things you can do. If anyone here is interested in writing film reviews or book reviews PM me your details and I'll get back to you - you get to go see free films - it's definitely worth it.

Also,

Belfield FM
    CTN
    Dramsoc

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Join The Philosophy Society, the one stop shop for all your highbrow needs.

Do elaborate... what sort of stuff do ye do? I considered meandering over to the stand last year but my experiences with TCD's "philosophy" society were too fresh in my mind :/

imp wrote:
    Do elaborate... what sort of stuff do ye do? I considered meandering over to the stand last year but my experiences with TCD's "philosophy" society were too fresh in my mind :/

Well we're nothing like the Trinity Phil, which as far as I understand is more like the L&H.

We show films that kick off philosophical debates, e.g. The Matrix followed by a discussion about scepticism, Blade Runner followed by discussion about the Mind/body problem (for people who don't know what that is the problem can be summarised as "so are they the same thing or what?").
    The films are a great way for people who are new to philosophy to get into it because it gives them something concrete to draw examples from and such.

We bring in visiting guests to speak on some area of philosophy. In the past we've had John Royston Saul, Noam Chomskey and the hilarious Glyn Hughes of Squashed Philosophers attempting to cover 50 philosophers in 50 minutes.
    Funds permitting we try to follow talks with a drinks reception.

We also have a weekly coffee morning for all your caffeine needs. We also usually put on a freshers week party, Christmas party and we run the final year philosophy class party.

Other than that we're completely open to organising pretty much anything members want us to (so long as it has some vague philosophical relevance) We've put on plays in association with DramSoc, debated with PsychSoc, when I was in first year we set up reading group to discuss texts on the course in a less pressured environment than lectures or tutorials, in May out auditor arm wrestled SU president Dan Hayden for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Could someone clarify if pokersoc is on next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Bubs101 wrote:
    Could someone clarify if pokersoc is on next year

I'm sure it will as it's quite a popular society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vale

How active is Labour Youth?

vale wrote:

It's pretty active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

vale wrote:
    The guy in charge of ly ucd next year is really lovely and v.dedicated so Im sure it will go from strength to strength.

Med soc really is a must for all med students. It runs all the major events,med day,med ball,comedy debate etc etc.
    Carlsberg dont do societys but is they did it would be med soc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Why oh why do we not have an art society? I tried to set one up this summer, but was met with some severe ignoring from the societies officer and the ex auditor of the old art society when I tried to get some info on running it. It sucks, cos I really wanted to have somewhere to do lifedrawing and stuff on campus, and now it seems it is not to be. *sniff*

Why oh why do we not have an art society? I tried to set one up this summer, but was met with some severe ignoring from the societies officer and the ex auditor of the old art society when I tried to get some info on running it. It sucks, cos I really wanted to have somewhere to do lifedrawing and stuff on campus, and now it seems it is not to be. *sniff*

All it takes is a little persistence. Setting up a society is no mean feat, and the same goes for re-forming a defunct one. But it's do-able. Talk to people who've set up societies in the past, try Butler again (sometimes you just have to catch him on a good day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

mathsoc

that says it all really

dont knock it till you try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

yeah, captain negatives right, dodgeball's fantastic - a great group of random people who love havin a laugh! join join join!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Question: Is there a poker club in UCD at all? Couldn't find it on the website, but I didn't see either dodgeball or ultimate frisbee there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Question: Is there a poker club in UCD at all? Couldn't find it on the website, but I didn't see either dodgeball or ultimate frisbee there either.
    Yes. That question was already answered in this very thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Inglorious wrote:
    Yes. That question was already answered in this very thread.
    Haha. Sorry.

Another nice way of throwing away a bit more money. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Surprised TEL hasn't stuck his head in to do this yet, so I might as well.

Join Gamesoc, we are not just a bunch of DnD nerds who never go outside. Really. Seriously, I have photos that can verify this. We organise such events as Halo tourneys, board games nights, LANs, pretty much everything that can have the word 'game' attached to it.

In freshers week we're planning on running things like an outdoor werewolves game, (Werewolves is an extremely fun group game where you are the members of a village infested by werewolves, and you must randomly lynch peple till you root out the evil! [Try it, you won't regret it]) Signups for Assassins (Our most popular event last year, where you track down interesting people and kill them) and many others.

We're also planning a full-out Halo league to run during the year, and a Pro Evo tourney. All this in addition to our traditional RPGs, CCGs and wargames. Should be a great year, why not come along for the ride!

gamesoc_logo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fiona_bob

Dodgeball and ultimate frisbee would come under clubs rather than societies I'd say that's why you didn't see them.

Sci-fi soc is actually quite fun, their coffee mornings are a great way to meet people and drink free tea and coffee(and biscuits), and to be honest sci-fi isn't even discussed!! But you didn't hear that from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Probably heading to UCD this year .... still making up my mind tossing between UCD or Liverpool ... Think Art soc would be great idea ...and does anyone know if there is Gymnastics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Raphael wrote:
    Surprised TEL hasn't stuck his head in to do this yet, so I might as well.

Join Gamesoc, we are not just a bunch of DnD nerds who never go outside. Really. Seriously, I have photos that can verify this. We organise such events as Halo tourneys, board games nights, LANs, pretty much everything that can have the word 'game' attached to it.

In freshers week we're planning on running things like an outdoor werewolves game, (Werewolves is an extremely fun group game where you are the members of a village infested by werewolves, and you must randomly lynch peple till you root out the evil! [Try it, you won't regret it]) Signups for Assassins (Our most popular event last year, where you track down interesting people and kill them) and many others.

We're also planning a full-out Halo league to run during the year, and a Pro Evo tourney. All this in addition to our traditional RPGs, CCGs and wargames. Should be a great year, why not come along for the ride!

gamesoc_logo.png
    Pro Evo tourney you say! Count me in! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

i was hoping to advertise a trip for students on campus, but not with a society. can some1 please pm me and let me know what the regulations are for this? or is there anything in particular that can,cannot be on the poster?\

hope you guys know, please pm me ASAP!!!

thanks guys

if your not a registered society or club your posters are liable to be torn or postered over. Due to the high demand of postering real estate.

Whats the trip you wana organise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ucdkarate

The UCD Karate Club was formed in 1977 and has since then enjoyed success as one of the college’s largest and most popular clubs. We have we won the coveted Club of the Year award an unprecedented four times and are currently the reigning Intervarsity Champions.

We rarely miss an opportunity to have some fun. Every year the committee has a tightly-packed schedule of sporting and non-sporting events on the agenda, which include training courses, competitions, outings, weekends away and many other events, which are publicised on our website and on notice boards. All members, particularly beginners, are encouraged to come to our many events. You are also welcome to come up to the Sports Bar for a drink with us after training.

Class craic lads ;) and you learn a great skill at the same time.
    WWW.UCD.IE/KARATE
    UCDKARATE@GMAIL.COM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is anybody in the new Dodgeball club? Thinking of joining that! Sport that ya don't have to be fit for = good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

heya, looking for info on dramasoc. What kind of acting experience is needed?, what do you get up to? etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement