Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Shops that will buy used clothes

Options
  • 13-08-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any shops in dublin that will buy second hand clothes from people? At a decent price.

I have several pairs of jeans barely worn (lost weight). I was going to give them to charity yet every time I see charity shops they are never taking anything. I do not trust the dodgy bags coming in the door. Many "charity bags" collectors are meant to be just selling them on, so somebody must be buying. Also some of the jeans are decent brands, if I sold to a shop that recognised this I might get a nice amount. Even if you wanted to give to charity it might be better to sell to a shop and just give the money to SVP, auld ones in oxfam might not realise the value and put them up for €5-10.

I asked in flip in town years ago but they said all theirs come from the US and they did not buy from people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Best to drop them into an SVP shop. They take most things, unlike Oxfam, and you're helping a good cause.
    http://www.svp.ie/index.cfm/loc/4/articleId/8F7A906F-DFF3-3B67-AC804EA80D443E85

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sell them on ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

schaffer wrote:
    Best to drop them into an SVP shop. They take most things, unlike Oxfam, and you're helping a good cause.
    http://www.svp.ie/index.cfm/loc/4/articleId/8F7A906F-DFF3-3B67-AC804EA80D443E85

The last few times I checked in dun laoghaire they were not taking any. Like I mentioned I am not sure if they would get the full value. I could sell one pair to a shop and get 3 pairs of brand new jeans in tescos and give them to SVP.

Ebay is too much hassle TBH, if bothering to sell anything on ebay I would want to make at least €20-30 profit to make it worth my while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are still interested in giving them away, the Women's Refuges might take them. They often have people with families who have had to leave their homes without a lot of notice and who need clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Eager Beaver in Temple Bar definitely used to buy clothes. No idea if they still do though it's been many a year since I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ihave a black bag full of clothes here and keep meaning to bring them out, they've been lying in the hall for a month!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

rubadub wrote:
    Are there any shops in dublin that will buy second hand clothes from people? At a decent price.

I have several pairs of jeans barely worn (lost weight).

probably u wl not get decent price..coz now a days penny is selling cheap clothes and every second day there is some sale out..so people can buy new in sale ..why buy seconds?

if u recently lost weight..keep this stuff with u...u might put on weight again.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

confuzed wrote:
    probably u wl not get decent price..coz now a days penny is selling cheap clothes and every second day there is some sale out..so people can buy new in sale ..why buy seconds?

Well ask people who shop in such places, flip in town and other shops are selling 2nd hand levis for several times the price of new jeans in tescos. Tescos have jeans for €6. I picked up lots of jeans cheaply in the US, some that can cost €100 new here, I have barely worn some. It would be a shame to just hand out worn jeans to somebody, when they could have been sold and 10 new pairs bought for the money.
    confuzed wrote:
    if u recently lost weight..keep this stuff with u...u might put on weight again.;)
    Fat went off nice & slow & steady- not a fad diet that I will break. Getting rid of these and having a new wardrobe is an incentive to keep it off. I had been keep the clothes with this in mind, but I really cannot see me getting fat again.
    Ihave a black bag full of clothes here and keep meaning to bring them out, they've been lying in the hall for a month!!
    I had a collection this morning, and tomorrow, but I suspect both are fake charities, the websites on the bags do not exist or are not working.

I rang eager beaver and they do not buy from the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Sad,give them to charity man

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Swop or Swap?

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Sad,give them to charity man

Hey RaverRo, that is another option, though you do know for most charities, unfortunately only a small percentage goes to the charitable concern... Besides some people really like the thrill of getting something back for their 'trade' - moving back to the old ideology of bartering that was more prominent when things were not so flush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mammasboys

If anybody is interested I'm organising a frock exchange in Tinahely Courthouse Arts Centre on Friday 27th February at 8pm in aid of Crossbridge National School Swimming programme.
    Entry is only €5 and the clothes are coming in fast and furious. Should be a good night out with hair and make up advice from local experts.
    There is life out here in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sell them to the rag trade? or a printers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I've a few leather jackets i'm looking to flog,the cnunts in the eager beaver will give you a pittance if you're lucky.
    I reckon a car boot sale is the way forward!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »
    I've a few leather jackets i'm looking to flog,the cnunts in the eager beaver will give you a pittance if you're lucky.
    I reckon a car boot sale is the way forward!

Very lucky Degsy as it has been pulled down.
    I only noticed it the other day. Fenced off and roof pulled off it. Parts of exterior left standing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

humberklog wrote: »
    Very lucky Degsy as it has been pulled down.
    I only noticed it the other day. Fenced off and roof pulled off it. Parts of exterior left standing.

That was the exploding underpants i sold them a while back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »
    That was the exploding underpants i sold them a while back.

Some cecks Degsy! Just gone past it and the whole lot is coming down. They've a sign up saying that they'll be back after renovations. Some removations.

Advertisement