Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

699 for a top spec laptop in Tesco

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Had mine within a couple of days also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is it worth downgrading the warranty to basic and upgrading the processor to the TL56?

Also is the machine not capaple of runnig vista satisfactorily or do people here just prefer XP?

Great offer by the looks of it though, gonna order tomorrow methinks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mukki wrote:
    no!

I ordered one on 17th, and its was shipped today (20th),woooo hooooo

and 18th and 19th were a sat and sun, bet you will have yours on wed or thursday

How long did it tell you it would take? Mine's still listed as in pre-production...

Works fine with Vista. Have Vista Ultimate on it with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cheers dingding, any opinions on the processor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

so i just checked dell, small business's and theyre retailing for around 600ish as is, why are ppl buying em like hot cakes, is this an offer ?

Placebo wrote:
    so i just checked dell, small business's and theyre retailing for around 600ish as is, why are ppl buying em like hot cakes, is this an offer ?

I think it was at the time but the regular price seems to have dropped to match it.

It might be limited too, though, as the site has a price that's marked off with the new, cheaper one underneath. That's likely regular Dell spin, though. Either way, still a good deal.

(there's a €90 off thing that seems to be on all machines atm - says offer ends on the 29th)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

flogen wrote:
    How long did it tell you it would take? Mine's still listed as in pre-production...

it said it would be ready on the 28th

When I purchased mine on the offer, I built the same machine on the dell site and it came in at 830 euro, and I don't think that included 50 shipping. :D

Still a great machine for 600 :D

• Advertisement

good stuff.

Mine's still in pre-production according to the site but fingers crossed it'll be a little early.

If it doesn't come 'til the 29th I'm not bothered either!

bigkev49 wrote:
    Cheers dingding, any opinions on the processor?

Works well, very big diference in performance when the balanced or power saving option is checked and the processor runs at the lower speed.

Using the 64 bit version of Vista so I am not sure if this help.

I think I gave the vista benchmark speeds further back in the post.

I had to go to the amd site to get the propper drivers for the video card, used to hang when it went into hibernate and that is fixed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This offer still available in most Tescos in Dublin?

posted from my vostro, that i ordered on friday

great machine, having trouble uninstalling the mcafee demo, can't wait till its gone to see how fast the laptop is

Trilla wrote:
    This offer still available in most Tescos in Dublin?

i think the gist of this thread is to not buy the tescos laptop, and get the dell vostro instead

mukki wrote:
    i think the gist of this thread is to not buy the tescos laptop, and get the dell vostro instead

Should the title of the thread be changed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

My parents were interested in getting the ALDI Medion laptop a few weeks ago, but didn't get there early enough. They have barely used a PC ever, but liked that it had a webcam built into the screen (like a Mac) and since my brother lives in Aus, they could talk/see him easily with it. I know they could get the Dell and an external webcam, but the fewer cables the better!!! Does Dell do laptops with built in webcams? I can't find any.

Mine's still sitting in pre-production. I don't expect it'll arrive very early if that's the case, so next Wednesday it (probably) is! Oh Well!
    Mizu_Ger wrote:
    My parents were interested in getting the ALDI Medion laptop a few weeks ago, but didn't get there early enough. They have barely used a PC ever, but liked that it had a webcam built into the screen (like a Mac) and since my brother lives in Aus, they could talk/see him easily with it. I know they could get the Dell and an external webcam, but the fewer cables the better!!! Does Dell do laptops with built in webcams? I can't find any.

The Inspiron 1521 has a built-in webcam, but it's a desktop replacement (so it's quite heavy) and it's pricey enough for the basic model.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

Mizu_Ger wrote:

Sony Vaios have the webcam (MotionEye) in the screen too. They can be pricey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Laptop webcams are one extra cable and about 40 Euro, a lot cheaper than looking for an integrated one if you're buying a budget laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

blastman wrote:
    Laptop webcams are one extra cable and about 40 Euro, a lot cheaper than looking for an integrated one if you're buying a budget laptop.

I know, but for my parents the handier it is the better. Da is mad into getting one all of a sudden and Mam doesn't like a mess, so just a power cable sticking out of the side would be the best solution. The ALDI medion laptop looked decent enough for light use.
    itsmine wrote:
    Sony Vaios have the webcam (MotionEye) in the screen too. They can be pricey though.

Thanks, I had a look and they are pricey!!!

• Advertisement

Sorry for giving everyone a point-by-point update on my laptop's progress, but oddly enough it finally moved from pre-production to production today, but says it has been in production since Monday.

Is it just that the system wasn't getting updated (and it might actually be finished by now!) or is it just a mistake made on the site?

Tesco have a vista compatable webcam for 10 euro or so. Might do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Got mine on Monday with XP; 4 day turn around an absolute bargain of a machine;

have got 3 on order in work now for users in the warehouse who I didn't want to give Inspirons to

Wowzer - having sat on 'pre-production' since Monday the machine flew through all the other stages today and has now been dispatched.

I wonder if I should expect it tomorrow or next week - any thoughts? What carrier is used by Dell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

They use interlink. Your best bet is to call your nearest interlink depot in the morning and see if it's out for delivery. If not, and if your able, you could call to collect it. Otherwise you'll probably be waiting till next week

Mine arrived by interlink the day after it was dispatched. It was dispatched by 4.00 pm. from dell.

Interlink came just before Lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Lads need help I was going to get the vostro but then did a bit of digging and can get these 2 for around the same price even cheaper anybody give me a dig out and help me decide?

here are the codes

First of all vostro (N0810003) €604

Next 6400 inspiron (N08647) €615

Next Inspiron again 50 quid cheaper though dont know why spec looks the same?? (N08643) €565
    Edit:just seen the one above is on the small business side of the site....does it matter?

All specs have 2 GB ram and 120 GB Hard drive and lowest service support no extras. And all 3 specs have the truelife add onfor the screen.

The vostro has the AMD Processor

The inspirons both have the Dual cores running at 1.8 ghz

Just wondering what the best deal my head is melted....
    Thanks

Probably worth getting the 9 cell battery.

It arrived today (I know - I got lucky; the delivery guy had something on on Monday so came in today to do his deliveries!) and am very happy with it.

Just configuring it now and putting all my programmes on it - then it will replace the PC in my room!

One question - I ordered it with a 9cell battery and it said the battery would protrude from the machine, which was fine with me.. it doesn't really seem to, though, at least not like the picture on the Dell site suggested. The closest thing I can see to it protruding is a small lump in the middle of the battery pack that makes it stick out about a mm off the base of the machine - not enough to interfere with the grip pads. Is this the same for others or did I get the wrong battery?

mine is the same, small buldge on about 1/3 of the battery, with the design it could never protrude from the rear. I think the rear extending battery refered to one of the other vostro's.

ANd there is great battery life even with the high performance battery. It is very sluggish in the power save or balanced mode. (Vista)

THis could be due to the advanced wireless settings in the advanced power settings.

• Advertisement

dingding wrote:
    mine is the same, small buldge on about 1/3 of the battery, with the design it could never protrude from the rear. I think the rear extending battery refered to one of the other vostro's.

ANd there is great battery life even with the high performance battery. It is very sluggish in the power save or balanced mode.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I saw Walt Mossberg reviewing the Vostro 1400 and he mentioned the bulge at the back, so it must be for the higher-end of the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

mod mite change the title, cause it turned into a gud thread for a dell lappy, crap one for a iqon one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

this one still around? code wont work and one they have via website clock up to 700 inc vat and deliv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

I bought an Iqon computer, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dmc101

I had one, cheap build + software problems, software restore does not work, runs slow with vista, 'terrible back-up from iqon' Tesco would not help me when I took it back, iqon kept me on hold for 30 mins each time then cut me off, tried time & time again, when I got through they said they would get engineer to call back, never did. I had to go to trading standards/credit card company/Tesco management & threaten small claims court, took 4 weeks to get a refund...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I had to go to trading standards/credit card company/Tesco management & threaten small claims court, took 4 weeks to get a refund

Did you get to keep the clubcard points? ;)

Advertisement