Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No phone line & no cable in D6 - Options?

Options
  • 13-08-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

So I've just found out that despite having cable running through the flat it's just carrying TV, and not broadband! There's also no phone line. That leaves me with very few options - putting an outside antenna up outside is not an option so that rules out digiweb and IBB Breeze. What does that leave me with?
    All I can think of is IBB Ripwave (apparently awful in D6?), Clearwire (apparently awful altogether) and one of the 3G providers.

At the moment I'm seriously considering just buying an O2 3G modem and giving it a go, because there don't seem to be any better options. O2's 3G seems far better value than ripwave. Only catch is I need to share it between two computers, one a linux box. Is ICS the only option?

And more importantly are there any other options that I'm missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Put in a phone line for your flat ? !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The flat doesn't even have a cancelled phone line??

UPC still haven't upgraded their cable near the centre of Dublin :rolleyes:

I think that's all the options really. If there's a phone line there, it costs either €25 or nothing depending on special offers at the time. You could possibly get BT's €39 per month line rental and broadband bundle. Also Smart's broadband offerings starting at about €40 with 3 mbit speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

That would be the obvious solution yup. There's physically no phone line but I can get one put in for 125, I'll do that and get Imagine - I think it's like 30 a month with line rental for 1mb or 2mb, pretty good. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't know of who offers it that cheaply for always-on broadband and line rental, but good luck anyway!!

Advertisement