Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Week Break, Friendlies and other Stuff...

• 13-08-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

OK lads.

Now that we've come to the end of our second season, I want to start preparing for the new season.

I'm proposing a team meet up sometime early next week, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday evening.

We could do a small 5-a-side kickaround in DCU, as we did before last season, just to get lads together again.

I've also arranged our first friendly game of the off-season.

It will be on grass, and will be taking place on Saturday 28th August, in the evening time. Time and location will be decided in the next few days.

Can everyone who regularly posts here, please let me know if you are available, I'll also be sending a text message soon enough about this.

Now, there are arrangements being made for another couple of games, but these are in the very early stages. IF ANYONE HAS ANY CONTACTS WITH ANOTHER TEAM AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A GAME THE PLEASE TRY YOUR BEST.

Ed, you need to either give me Art's number, and Dan's. Or else get in touch with them yourself. Better if I do I think.

I'll get on to Karl and Gav, seeing as Jules is away, for Kenny and Fran's numbers.

Martin, Dave and Anto, I know Shels are in Cobh that night, but I need to see you in more games, especially Anto and Dave, so try and make the effort to either make this friendly, or some of the other ones. The rest of the lads will be making sacrifices for the teams they support, you lot are no different as regards this, Put your Premiership hatred to one side for the sake of the team :)

I know some of you are going to be taking the time to have a break or whatever, but we need to keep the momentum going.

As discussed with the nine players and myself who were in UCD on Saturday, we are going to stick to Tuesdays for the new season.

Now, I know this causes conflict with the Champions League, but as Jules said, what difference does a match against some no-mark club from Turkey actually make to your life? If it has gotten to the stage where you'd rather sit on your hole watching football, rather than getting up and playing, then you really should take a closer look at yourself, and your commitment to this team.

If you are going to decide on a cold tuesday evening (and yes, it IS Ireland, we DO get cold, wet winters) that you'd really rather be sat on a barstool than out playing a game of ball, then please don't join this team. For this season I will be ruthless. If you don't turn up to games because you are sat watching football on TV I will drop you for the rest of the season. No questions asked, no refund of monies. Let me make that perfectly clear. If you let us down, we will let you down, in no uncertain terms.

Same goes for training. If you don't have a damn good excuse for not being at training, then you will be dropped for the next game. No excuses, no apologies, no refunds.

Fair enough, if you are travelling to a game, that's different.

So, what day suits next week, and are you available for the friendly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Nice rant des :)

Tuesday next week suits me, should suit most people really cos its what were used to the last 4 months. I can book a 5 a side in DCU if theres interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Would i be mad in suggesting that we take the chance to have two training sessions per week, one on a tuesday and one on a weekend day. We could have a mid week game to keep sharp but use the second practice to get some fitness training in. For example saturday afternoons in the phoenix park where we dont need a pitch doing jogs, sprints and ball control work? I think we should take advantage of the break that we have. It would be a preseason for some and a good regime for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Eh, is that date for the friendly Des? thought we were in cobh Sat 25th of August. I'll more than likely be in Cobh for that game as I haven't been on an away trip in yonks. Also next week we have that Shelsweb footie on Monday. I'm carrying an injury as I said to you last week so while I'll go to shelsweb footie (and do nothing :D) I won't be avialable to train again for about 2 weeks. Don't worry bout my fitness though, I'll be in the gym 3 or 4 times a week. But the injury I have is chronic so if i dont look after it there'll no footie at all so hope you don't mind me sitting it out for a while. I'm also on holdays from Monday 3rd of Sept to that Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

seansouth wrote:
    It will be on grass, and will be taking place on Saturday 28th August
    28th August is a Tuesday boss. Did you mean Sat 25th Aug?
    Generally Saturday afternoons are poxy for me personally, the Tuesday night league is grand.

Will try a couple of avenues for a friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

I'll see what I can do about missing the Shels game in Cobh, I'm away on holidays from the 1st-20th of September so I realise I really do need to play in that game. Training twice a week sounds great to me, I need the fitness before the season starts to be honest. I'll be running every day when I'm away so that should keep me at a decent fitness level. Can't wait for the new season now :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah but I hear this new manager is a real bolix :eek:
    seansouth retired to director of football role.

The F is DesF stands for fat :p

LeixlipRed wrote:
    The F is DesF stands for fat :p
    :eek: oooh. Even I'm not that brave :D

Why'd you change the handle btw Des?

Love handles :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Anyone interested in a game in DCU next Tuesday....say 8pm?
    If so I'll go ahead and book it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I am.

Could probably do with a thread started for this.

I am.

Could probably do with a thread started for this.

Count me in too.

Injured lads so wont make this one

Anyone interested in a game in DCU next Tuesday....say 8pm?
    If so I'll go ahead and book it.

Take it this isn't happening now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Doesn't seem like it.

Go out for a jog I guess.. nah!! :)

Advertisement