Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your all time favorite turns?

• 13-08-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

What are your all time favorite good guy or bad guy turns?

For me, the majority would be from my childhood but here's a few that spring to mind:

- Mr. Perfect turning good in 1992 and teaming with Macho Man against Razor Ramon and Ric Flair at Survivor Series. He was a guy I always wanted to cheer and combine that with the fact he hadn't wrestled in such a long time made it great to watch.

-Shawn Michaels turning on Marty Janetty during the Barber Shop segment in the early 1990's.

-Macho Man turning back to a good guy and re-uniting with Elizabeth after he lost a retirement match to the Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 7. It was perfectly done and some people were visibly crying in the stands. I also love Lord Alfred Hayes commentary at the end of it for all the right and wrong reasons. He could have been a royal correspondent for the BBC.

Other ones I really like are: Bret Hart turning in 1997, Terry Funk turning heel on Ric Flair at the end of a match with Steamboat in 1990 and Virgil turning on the Million Dollar Man in 1991 culminating in their match at Summerslam. I also though Batista's turn to a good guy in 2004 was really well done too.

So what's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

probably the rock turn....when he'd come out and badmouth the town through song every week just funny stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Hogan at Bash at The Beach...unthought of at the time!

Razor Ramon turning on Money Inc in early 90's (DiBiase wanted him to work for him as a "domestic"):D

When Farooq turned face on the Nation...best was when Rocky bought them all costly Rolexes and just gave Farooq a portrait of the Rock...oh i miss the Attitude era :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mayosteve99

Stone Cold Turning at Wrestlemania !!!!!!!!!!! joining with vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I dont know if you would classify it as a turn but when Brian Pillman debuted in ECW. Lights went out, when they came back on Pillman was standing in the ring and got a massive pop, he cut a little anti WCW promo to a good reaction and then within 10 seconds had the crowd wanting to kill him when he called them all smart marks and proceeded to whip out his johnson (his words) and piss in the ring - I dont think he actually went but he made the actions of whipping out his fella. Brilliant stuff. From face to heel within 10 seconds of debuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Takers turn to face in the early nineties. He was already being cheered. Perfects was brilliant too. and and Micahels/Janetty just scared the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Scott Steiner and the blondy head after joining the NWO. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mayosteve99

ne sign if hbk turn on jennetty ??? Is it on youtube??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Probably the Bret Austin switch in 97, I just loved that whole feud. I was a big fan of the Hart Foundation back then. Austin had to become face after the end of the submission match at WrestleMania and Bret's anti-American switch just fitted perfectly.

CM Punk's turn in ROH in 2005 deserves a mention too. At Death Before Dishonor III he was due to fight Austin Aries for the title in his last ever ROH match before he joined WWE. At this stage Punk wsa the biggest face in the company. No one expected it, but Punk won the title, cut a great promo about how he used the fans to get what he wanted, and went on to hold the title hostage, threatening to bring the title to the WWE. He even signed hs WWE contract on the ROH title belt.
    It was a great angle, and a brilliant last act to Punk's tenure in ROH.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

ne sign if hbk turn on jennetty ??? Is it on youtube??

Sure is bud,just posted it in the video thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The best turn I've ever seen was when CM Punk turned heel after winning the ROH title. His initial face turn was pretty cool itself as well

Bret and Austin's turns at WM13 were great, it's what makes that match that bit better

I liked when Nikita Koloff turned face after Magnum TA's career was ended, unfortunate circumstances but the fans absolutely loved him after that

I didn't really like the way Jericho turned heel at the end of 2001, but once he did turn I loved it

I forget exactly how it was done, but Brock Lesnar's heel turn around 2003 was really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Best one I'd say was Hogan's in '96 while the worst one was Howard Finkle's. No one gave a sh*t!

Another turn I liked was in 2000 at WM when Vince screwed The Rock and joined the McMahon-Helmsley faction. I loved that year when The Rock was the ultimate star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

austin in 2001,from the beer swilling redneck to the vince loving,singing,cowboy hat wearing source of comedy gold,kumbaya indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

krudler wrote:
    austin in 2001,from the beer swilling redneck to the vince loving,singing,cowboy hat wearing source of comedy gold,kumbaya indeed

I enjoyed it too but it was the wrong move business wise. The average fan wanted the beer swilling redneck.

ah but wasnt it so much better when he did come back? plus he was injured so they needed to keep him and angle on tv but out of the ring, "im a hero!" "....you're a jackass" "hero!" ".....jackass"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I know in the grand scheme of things the Invasion angle was played out wrong, but its funny how everyone bitch'd and moaned about how bad it was at the time, but looking back alot of that period was golden compared to the mundane tripe that we're given today.

good point, nothing will ever touch the attidue era though,from 98-2001 wrestling was on fire,with wcw and ecw as well it was a great time to be a fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

krudler wrote:
    ah but wasnt it so much better when he did come back? plus he was injured so they needed to keep him and angle on tv but out of the ring, "im a hero!" "....you're a jackass" "hero!" ".....jackass"

Well they turned him back 6 months later which showed how poorly it failed. He was never the draw after that run.

He was at times super funny for the people that tuned in but many fell off watching WWE at the very point he turned heel. Its not a coincidence and in retrospect it was a mistake.

Its not like he was a stale good guy at that point either. He was back only 7 months after being out with a long term with a neck injury. There was still mileage with him as a good guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

When Bad Ass Billy Gun "turned"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Too many to list

80s:
    Savage's face turn with Hogan to form the Megapowers (SNME Oct 87)
    Savage's heel turn on Hogan (TME Feb 89)
    Demolition / POP double turn (Survivor Series 88)

90s:
    Herc and Roma on the Rockers (Superstars July 90), too bad it didn't work out as Herc was still a pretty big babyface at the time, so the turn was a big deal at the time it happened
    Austin on Pillman in 96, not a turn as such but so many people were expecting a reunion of the Blondes in WWE, only to have Austin destroy Pillmans ankle.
    Shawn on Marty in 91, and it pre-dates the Barber shop, they had a scuffle at the 91 Survivor Series which left Shawn walking off on his partner, a couple of weeks after that in a face v face match against the LOD for the belts, Shawn and Marty went fistacuffs, and then Janetty cost Michaels a match against Flair a few weeks after that accidentally, which then lead on to barber shop.
    Hogan on Savage at BATB 96 to kick off the nWo, enough said.
    Bret and Austin's double turn at Wrestlemania 13, and the only good part of the damn PPV.

Just a few to mention
    VR!

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote:
    When Bad Ass Billy Gun "turned"
    ... over to the other side of the bed to let Chuck service him? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist!
    VR!

Why did you think I used inverted commas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

one i dont see mentioned here and was a fav of mine when i was younger....was......the whole angle with luger and tatanka....culminating at summerslam(93/94 or 95) cant remember the year...but tatanka turned and joined the million dollar man...liked that one alot..

just dont seem to be able get turns these days with the way the crowd is etc

I liked it when Evolution turned on Orton and I loved when Shane turned on Vince to buy WCW. They're both recent enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The turn which upset me the most as a kid was when The Islanders had a match with the Can Am connection, two sugar babyface teams, and The Islanders turned heel, joining the Heenan family (If I remember correctly).

The worst was most certainly Lex Lugers turn from being The Narcissist to the all American hero.

I loved Orton most recent heel turn when he RKOd Stacey. he had been going in that direction for a bit, and this was great.

Eddies turn which didnt work in 2003 was great, when he beat the crap out of Tajiri. In fact it went so wrong, he went to being the companies top good guy, or Smackdowns at least.

I liked Cornettes heel turn in ROH after the Cage Of Death. he was super over as the great commisioner, but that all changed in the aftermath here. He is a better heel anyways.

Roderick Strong on Aries/ROH. Everyone thought it would be the latter who turned on Roddy, but no, and he has been fantastic with the NRC. Totally re invented his getting stale character.

The Hogan heel turn needs to be mentioned as it was truly shocking.

I loved the Rocks heel persona coming in to WM19 before his match with Austin. Pity it didn't last longer.

HBK wrote:
    one i dont see mentioned here and was a fav of mine when i was younger....was......the whole angle with luger and tatanka....culminating at summerslam(93/94 or 95) cant remember the year...but tatanka turned and joined the million dollar man...liked that one alot..

just dont seem to be able get turns these days with the way the crowd is etc

It was after their match at Summerslam 94. They pulled the Savage/Flair/Hennig stunt they did two years ago only replacing Hennig with DiBiase with the whole "Which corner will DiBiase be in" and who paid the highest for his services. Both accusing the other, Tatanka strongly accusing Luger of selling out after seeing DiBiase's money in Lugers hands twice.

Only to have Tatanka beat the tar out of Luger after the Match and siding with DiBiase. Problem was, Tatanka remained Tatanka, rather than changing character or just being called Chris Chavis. And thats exactly the reason why his heel turn didn't work and is pretty much forgotten about.

And who really gives a f*ck about an evil native american? I wouldn't mind, but 12 years afterwards, they STILL tried it!!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Bubs101 wrote:
    I liked it when Evolution turned on Orton and I loved when Shane turned on Vince to buy WCW. They're both recent enough

Even better was Batistas turn on HHH. They slow played it really well teasing it for weeks. Still doesnt mean I like the guy but it was a well played out face turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

TNA Hard Justice
    Karen Angle. Never saw that one coming!

Advertisement