Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small river with small trout!!

Options
  • 13-08-2007 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

i live in tinahely in wicklow wer a small river flows through>>the derry river!!
    there are some small brouwn trout and i can see them swimming around sometimes but i just cant catch anything!!!
    ive tried mant times with bred, worms etc!
    please help!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i havnt done any trout fishing (a lot of course and pike though!), the same basic rules apply. if you can see the fish, they can see you! if they can see you, the will be frightened and will not take any bait. how big is the hook and how strong is the line? if the fish are very small, i would sujest line with a 2-3lb breaking strain, the thinner the line the better, as in clear water the fish can see it. i would try using very small hooks, probably a 16 course hook, with a bit of worm. if you are allowed to use maggots, and if you can get them, i would use them instead of worm.

how big is the river? is a fast flowing stream, or is it deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

trout even at that size will not look at bread or anything that might be used for coarse fishing tactics except maybe maggots which id presume is illegal on that river

the only time worth using worms is when the river is in flood,i.e when the water levels are up and its a chocolaty colour

ur best bet is to learn to fly fish and ul catch that size trout , prob best if you fish for em in the evening time, there less aware of there surrounding and tend not to see ur flies as clearly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭padolicious

well ive been fly fishing 4 a couple of years now and can catch them on the fly around 7 or 8 in the evening but i wud for once like to catch 1 on bait!!
    thanks 4 the info ill try it all!!
    ps. can very small spinners work ive never tried??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fatz

i live in tinahely in wicklow wer a small river flows through>>the derry river!!
    there are some small brouwn trout and i can see them swimming around sometimes but i just cant catch anything!!!
    ive tried mant times with bred, worms etc!
    please help!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Have you tried a hook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronnie#1

i'd imagine as its november that the river is closed for fishing

so your best bet is to learn to fly fish before next year and you will catch a few on small flies either wet or dry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

trotting maggots / worms will work
    just make sure you are facing upstream and behind the trout...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

worming has been my speciality for years. Best to catch big trout. (oh and release these days, but if too big better probably to bring home, as they turn cannibal and start behaving like pike)

Advertisement