Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Hosting... advice please..

Options
  • 13-08-2007 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hello,

I need some hosting. Wants lots of disk space and need quote a few domains on it. The more features the better in terms of installable apps etc.

I hear you can't go wrong with either Blacknight or Hosting356 (I would perfer to keep it in Ireland).

I have been told this is a good deal: http://www.register365.com/products/linux/business - looks fantastic to me. Is there any downsides I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

What are you developing in ?

If its php/perl ... then thats the one for you if its asp then you'll want the windows plan...

As you said ... "Blacknight or Hosting356" ... are the two to go with in Ireland in my opinion.

What databases are you going to be using ... if its anything to do with MS you'll want to go the windows route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I would have to say Blacknight. Excellent customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

What I would do...

Decide which hosts you are interested in then give them all a phone call and see how helpful they are, then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you don't need Irish hosting I've been using servage for a couple of weeks after reading some good recommendations on another site. You get 360GB space for about 7 euro a month.

So far, I've found it very good. Link here.

edit:link changed to remove referral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If that's not ok, let me know and I'll change the link
    Please do. Referral links are generally frowned upon.

• Advertisement

matrim > how much of your 360gb space do you use?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Blacknight has the "Installatron" which installs all these things for you, not sure if Hosting 365 has similar...

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    matrim > how much of your 360gb space do you use?

At the moment very little, but am not interested in going to the hassle of setting up for other people. I plan to use it partly as web file storage so will be using alot in the future.

matrim > My point is they oversell everything. They couldn't offer those packages if all their customers used a tenth of their space and bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Everybody oversells to some degree :)

It wasn't that long ago when everybody thought a 50 MB hosting account was generous !

(though some people still offer those ... someone must still be buying them!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

theganster: e-mail the sales, support and accounts team of the company you are considering. Ask a difficult question. See how long each one takes to reply.

Try not to choose on price alone. The few extra €€€ is normally worth it. Think of it like beer. There's a reason you don't choose Bavaria in the Off Licence... :)

How about 360 kegs of Bavaria for 7 euro? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

If it's vital to your business your always better off jumping in the car and having a look at their set-up and speaking face to face so that you can physically see if they can deliver what they promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hosting365 seem to have an enemy in the ESB, they always seem to have power issues, I would tend to lean towards Blacknight always find them a lot more of a profesional outfit.

but if your site is not critical and you don't mind some down time hosting might be a cheaper option.

Don't know what you mean by that Ntlbell, we have our own sub station as well as second ESB feed, we have had two power issues in the last two years, which were for a short period of time, feel free to call out for a tour of our Data centre and i'll be happy to show you our set up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Sposs wrote:
    Don't know what you mean by that Ntlbell, we have our own sub station as well as second ESB feed, we have had two power issues in the last two years, which were for a short period of time, feel free to call out for a tour of our Data centre and i'll be happy to show you our set up :)

The power may have been down for a 'short period of time' (maybe 24 hours before everything was back to normal?)but the manner in which H365's customers were informed of the issue was pretty crappy to be honest. If the OP does his homework he might notice that H365 encounter a lot of customer service issues, not just technical ones.

And thanks to those issues, we have been working hard putting in place measures going forward to improve on those particular expierences as i said to the OP and will offer an open invitation to anyone on boards.ie feel free to call out to our data centre and have a look at our set-up, we invest more money and resources into customer care than our competitors and are constantly working to ensure we provide the best support/plans/pricing etc.

Also with regards your links

Eoghan Mc Cabes post was a joke
    We meet with Bart and we hope he's happy now :)http://www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=461
    Tom's post was about how we are improving also.

We know were not perfect, but were working hard on it , and as always willing to listen and learn from our customers , feel free to PM with any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Blacknight by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sposs wrote:

So you class almost 24 hours as a short period of time?

What do you consider a long period of time?

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    matrim > My point is they oversell everything. They couldn't offer those packages if all their customers used a tenth of their space and bandwidth.

Maybe not, but alot of companies do the same (almost every DSL provider for a start). I think I'll eventually need at least 40Gb of space so won't be complaining because it's hard to get that for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lets stick to the topic at hand, and not get into squabbeling about individual providers if we please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 acubesoftware

Have you tried www.namewithus.com?

Have you tried www.namewithus.com?

That's just a frontend to Godaddy for a reseller ...

If you want a real host try:
    http://www.nouptime.com/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Is it complicated to transfer files onto the blacknight server? I need to set up a pretty basic webpage containing a good few images (nothing indecent!!)
    I've heard a good bit about blacknight and they sound like the way to go

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's easy... lots of options. Go for it, I highly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

blacknight wrote:
    That's just a frontend to Godaddy for a reseller ...

And he owns it too... :)

dublindude wrote:
    And he owns it too... :)
    Ah :)

That would explain that so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Blacknight by a mile (or even miles).....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Signed up to blacknight this week. I must say already i'm very impressed with the service. Very easy to sign up and get started and the FTP manager deserves an award its so easy to use. I highly recommend blacknight

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

used to host with blacknight had some hassles (that were eventually sorted) have moved to hosting 365 and have found them excellent to deal with and has unlimited sub-domains (something i need :) )

Advertisement