Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So where are you all going this year?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ideally I would like to fly out Friday afternoon/evening and come back Monday morning, to minimise the time off work and get at least two full days on the slopes.

Ive been checking flights all morning for next weekend but I cant seem to get the dates/times to work for me :(

Why hasn't someone invented a teleporter, magic carpet or those red shoes where you click your heels 3 times.. (St Anton, St Anton, St Anton) already.. the whole "Airport" idea is SO old at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Imposter. Im very Jealous!! It must be so sweet living within distance of a snowfield!

I really have to start looking into weekend breaks this year, getting full weeks off is tough

My main problem with weekends away (coming from Ireland) is that I always found them very pricey for what you get.

Hopefully I can figure out how to get away this year on the cheap then make it a regular occurance, if I could even get away once a month i would be over the moon!
    that'd be quite easy really. Aerlingus deals to Munich from dublin or cork are about 100 euro return if you strike lucky. And from there you are an hour in the car to the Austrian alps, or garmisch in germany.
    Or an hour and a half on the train to innsbruck.

You can even stay in Munich,which at weekend is great value cos of the lack of business travellers, and just do day trips by coach to varous resorts, and enjoy the nightlife in the evenings then back in Munich. The skibus site is here http://www.skibus-muenchen.de/en/index.html Bus AND skipass is about 35 to 50 euro for the day depending on where youre going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

bonkey wrote: »
    I have to wait a fortnight...stuff on next week.

Then, I'll be back up in Zweisimmen, and assuming we don't have a sudden warm-snap between now and then, I'll get to take my new* Völkl RaceTigers out for a spin.

Thats the real bitch about buying kit when its massively reduced in summer sales....you have to wait so damned long to try it out.

* new == 2006-model ex-test-ski, almost unused, bought for less than 1/2 list price.
    Enough already :p

Unfortunately i'm on my 4 year old skis but i'll probably change them for something a lot faster next year. Still debating whether this would be a good idea from the whole trying to keep myself alive point of view :) I'm kinda pleased that I don't need much if any kit this year. The one thing I may get is new gloves if I can find something suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm going to Saalbach in Austria for Christmas, parents have a place there. (only 5 weeks and 1 day til I fly out... and counting!). I'd usually try go over two more times during the winter but I'm moving to NZ in April and probably won't be able to afford the flights.

We'll try get a few trips in NZ, the only advantage to having two winters I can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciggs

Livigno for one week on the 19th jan - cant wait :D

• Advertisement

Hey Watna,

I spent nearly a year in NZ about 2-3 years ago in a little place called Wanaka! Its lovely spot you have to visit if you go over. Its surrounded by 3 Resorts, Cardrona, Treble Cone and a Snowpark.

Your going to love NZ!

Hey Watna,

I spent nearly a year in NZ about 2-3 years ago in a little place called Wanaka! Its lovely spot you have to visit if you go over. Its surrounded by 3 Resorts, Cardrona, Treble Cone and a Snowpark.

Your going to love NZ!

Thanks static! I presume that's in the south island? I'll ask the other half does he know it. As I'm not going to be working full time I'm hoping to get a few trips in. I just hope I don't miss the European atmosphere (gluhwein and cakes!)

I feel better about having two winters this year now!

@watna. Yes, Wanaka's in the south Island very near Queenstown the other big Ski location.

Remember if you try to get in a few days in Wanaka, book the Hotel/Hostel WELL in advcance its very hard to get accomodation during the season. Go for "The Purple Cow" hostel if you can. Its fantastic.

@watna. Yes, Wanaka's in the south Island very near Queenstown the other big Ski location.

Remember if you try to get in a few days in Wanaka, book the Hotel/Hostel WELL in advcance its very hard to get accomodation during the season. Go for "The Purple Cow" hostel if you can. Its fantastic.

Thanks again. I'll certainly check that out in June/July. Funnily enough I've never stayed in a hostel before but we've already booked a fair few to stay in on our travels on our way to NZ so I've been converted now. Less money spent accommodation means more ski trips!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Going back to Oberstdorf in Germany. Fly to Friedrichshafen, train down. Cheap accommodation, cool night spots if you know where to look. Not the usual overly large crap clubs.
    Loads of runs, some into Austria. Love the place. Regular buses to the lifs. Happy days.
    Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CyberUnch

Heading to Livigno, Italy 8th March for the Irish Ski & Snowboard champs. Should be a great week. Anyone else heading to this one?

Ive been to livigno twice before & its a resort with a great snow record & good prices aswell!

Cheers

Cyber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Just got a deal, woot! Going to be staying in Oberau in Austria. Was there last year and there was little snow, but our hotel owner tells us that they have had heavy snowfall already and expect it to last. Heading out on the 27th December, can't wait!

ZorbaTehZ,

Would you mind droping me a pm or posting the details of the trip you got?

Im looking to go out on the 27th Dec but Im having trouble getting flights, cant find anything within cost until 29th dec

Flights booked! Wooooooo!!! 7th Feb to Friedrichshafen and bus (not train) to Oberstdorf. No accommodation yet. Might try get over for a weekend soon, can't wait that long!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

:D:p Cars arranged. Off to Flachau tomorrow. Should be fun. :p:D

Should I report in the "Winter Resort Report thread" that's stickied or are we starting a new one for this year?

Imposter, Best of luck tomorrow!

I think the Winter Resort Report thread is still valid so if you could report their that would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Heading up to Grouse Mountain (30 mins from Vancouver) Sunday for some lessons. My first time snowboarding. Can't freakin wait. Is 3 hrs lessons enough to get you going?
    Then will be heading to Whistler in a few weeks.
    Anyone got advice on the best places here in Canada?

... over Christmas/New Year. 27 to 3rd. Haven't got accom for the whole period yet tho...
    booked cheap ryanair flights to Basel in Switzerland. Will drive from there.
    Great piste, even better off piste and the best apres ski in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Heading to Cortina on the 21st. - Hope the Italians do the Turkey with all the trimmings ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Just got a deal, woot! Going to be staying in Oberau in Austria. Was there last year and there was little snow, but our hotel owner tells us that they have had heavy snowfall already and expect it to last. Heading out on the 27th December, can't wait!

suggest Fly to basel -27th or frankfurt-and train from there? I am flying to Frankfurt on 27th-much cheaper, tho longer journey, staying in Bern 2 nights and then to st anton for a week. All in about 500 before the lift pass. Have board and skis in Switz all the time.
    Of to Switz on Sat, hope to get on the snow on Sun up in the jungfrau region-cant beat the lauberhorn decent to knock the cobwebs of the ski legs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Of to Switz on Sat, hope to get on the snow on Sun up in the jungfrau region-cant beat the lauberhorn decent to knock the cobwebs of the ski legs!!

Hmmm....could be dodgy....

Here iss the 'official' weather forecast

Depending on how much snow is falling over the weekend, you might find a lot of the runs up on Kleine Scheidegg are closed.

Hope it works out for you tho....the runs up around there are great fun.

Was up in Zweisimmen this weekend gone, but it was ****ing green. Back up again on the 14th, then for 2 weeks starting the 21st. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Just booked flights to Stuttgart for the first weekend in January. Going to hook up with some friends there and head to St. Anton for the weekend - probably wouldn't be ideal in the weekend skiing thread - works out cheap for us as we don't need to rent a car. €200 return with Swiss through Zurich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RectalWareZ

Im off to Val D'isere Jan 5th for a week. I would love to spend every day of the year skiing but i cant afford it. So once a year is the only chance i get! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I won a "Bulmers - World of Snow" trip for 4. We're heading out to Finland in 2 days.
    Also going to Oberstdorf in February with Don1.

Wooooooooo, Finland in two days!! (see above post) :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Off to Zermatt on the 5th for me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

Les Arcs on the 5th for 2 weeks
    Then Mt Tremblant in Candialand for 10 weeks
    Then Whistler for 3 weeks... life is hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

jimdev wrote: »
    Les Arcs on the 5th for 2 weeks
    Then Mt Tremblant in Candialand for 10 weeks
    Then Whistler for 3 weeks... life is hard!

how'd you manage all that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

Submit my thesis at Christmas = option (a) get a job or option (b) get not a job... (at least not yet)

I went for (b), definitely thinking I have the right idea given companies do most of their hiring in September...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Heading out to Zell am See tomorrow, can't wait!!!!

Advertisement