Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting 120v to 220v

Options
  • 13-08-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

Not really sure where to post this. Just wondering if anyone can help because i'm pretty braindead when it comes to any electronic crap.

I bought a funky massage chair thing when i was in vegas and only used it in the car through the cigarette lighter but i want to use in the house but dont know if i need a power converter or if a 2 pin to 3 pin converter will do.

The specs on the chair says

INPUT : 120V 60Hz 23w
    OUTPUT : 12VDC 800mA

I have a 13A 250V 2pin to 3pin converter so is it ok to plug this in to my socket board, bearing in mind i already have 5 other plugs in it. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

First off, the 250V converter must NOT be used!

You'll need to get a 110v-220/230v converter to plug your chairs adaptor into. You could also get another adapter with 3 pins that also has a 12V DC output, provided the plug at the end matches both in size and polarity, and can handle a load higher than 800mA.

For you, I suggest you get the US-UK/IE (110-230) mains converter. Less hassle and relatively inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Cheers Byte, thanks for your help :)

byte

No bother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 celerond

hi,

where is a good place to get one of those voltage converters?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Maplins do some good step down convertors to convert our 220v to the US 110v

• Advertisement
    byte

I'd say Peats would do them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

This one in particular is pretty good. Price isn't too bad either.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=13358&doy=26m8#spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 celerond

cheers for the info.... much appreciated..

Advertisement