Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another deathtrap from our Chinese friends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The words barge and pole come to mind. Frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

holy f**k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I reckon my '90 Micra would fair better in a crash than that heap of scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

:eek: shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is it made from paper? That's useless. I'd have more of a chance in a go-kart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

It looks like an old toledo?

...to answer my own question, so it is:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1140153&postcount=53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But its cheap as chips!

I wonder was the old Toledo as bad or is the engineering and metal gauge noticably worse?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mike65 wrote:
    But its cheap as chips!

And the same NCAP rating by the looks of things...............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Give them 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Deathtraptastic,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You get a free crash helmet though if you buy before the 31st of September.:) I think the Chinese are recycling our rubbish into these yokes and selling them back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Give them 15 years.

To accomplish what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

unkel wrote:
    To accomplish what?
    The next space shuttle I believe.:)

junkyard wrote:
    the Chinese are recycling our rubbish into these yokes and selling them back to us.

Trying to sell. They haven't been successful over here (EU) and I doubt they will in all but the distant future but the appealing market must surely be the US one?

That car is sold in Russia so safety not an issue!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Is that an official test, i.e. NCAP speeds or whatever? To play devil's advocate, it's hard to judge on an unbranded test clip like the above - perhaps it was done at 100 kph or something, with the engine bay emptied...

Or perhaps it is a biscuit tin suicide shuttle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Know how fast that was?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah it looks like a cloned MkI Seat Toledo. That Toledo was introduced in 1991 and was based on the MkII VW Golf. So your looking at a car copied on a 23 year old design. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

From Wikipedia:

An amulet (from Latin amuletum; earliest extant use in Natural History [Pliny], meaning "an object that protects a person from trouble".

Nice try

• Advertisement

Good find, Mike!

@Rhonda9000 - perhaps wearing a Chery Amulet all around you, it will protect you from ever being in a crash? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's no big deal, so long as you don't intend to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Who has ever intended to crash??

These guys are gonners. No hope whatsoever. Actual Dummies.

http://www.motorpasion.com/2006/03/29-coches-chinos-de-competicion

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a Seat Toledo. If they NCAP'd a MK2 Golf, A Citroen ZX or a Fiat Tempra, it'd come out the same. Many manufacturers build cars that would fail NCAP tests. VW are still building the Samba minibus, Toyota are still building the late 80's Corolla in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Chinese have a knack though for making their copies even worse then the original.

The "Landwind" was one example. The old Isuzu it was based on was never a NCAP performer, but the Landwind just crumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Izuzu MU wasn't exactly safe either. Some perspective is needed here. These cars are very cheap and not on sale here. Many people here are driving cars that are just as "unsafe" as these Chinese cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    The Izuzu MU wasn't exactly safe either. Some perspective is needed here. These cars are very cheap and not on sale here. Many people here are driving cars that are just as "unsafe" as these Chinese cars.

Indeed.

colm_mcm wrote:
    These cars are very cheap and not on sale here

The only reason they're not for sale here is these safety tests. The Landwind was actually for sale with a EU distribution system in place, but it was withdrawn after the infamous ADAC test

But I see where you're coming from. Millions of people in the developing world would love to own one of these cars, even if it had minus 5 safety stars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

colm_mcm wrote:
    The Izuzu MU wasn't exactly safe either.

That can't be right ;), it's a jeep, it must be big and strong and safe to bring the little darlings to school :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota are still building the late 80's Corolla in Africa.
    Is this model known as the Tazz? If so, production stopped since 2006 but I suppose there are probably some unregistered models left on garage forecourts throughout South Africa.

Advertisement