Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants taking the ***s

Options
  • 13-08-2007 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I'm managing a house for my uncle and at the moment there are 3 young 'professionals' staying there. I let the house to them 3 months ago as a 9 month lease. One person moved out and now they say they cant fill the other room and cant afford the rent so are moving out. Fine they have given the months notice however...When they moved in they broke the washing machine, but there is no proof that this was their fault..I said that it was up to them to have it fixed.Am I right? The thing is they have left it and arent going to bother fixing it as theyre outta there. I went over today to fix up some other little things like the gutter was blocked at the back, they werent there but I had permission to enter, and the place was a state. They must have had a huge party or something, there are solid hardwood floors down and they are full of holes from high heels i think. Irreparable. Cigarettes everywhere, carpets all soiled etc., decking out the back covered in ash from a barbeque. Now my question, what if the damage, cost of cleaning etc, costs more than the deposit? What are my rights to issue a bill for more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can make a claim via the PRTB. Takes a long time. Someone here did it.

Sometimes you have to put these things down to experience. Get the place sorted out and rented out as quick as you can. Don't own a powerwasher? Now might be a good time. Nothing you can really do about stilletoed floors, no matter what you do, not really a great thing to have in a rental. Just take plenty of photos, put your complaint to the tenant in writing (after you've gotten them out of the house) and if you want bring it to PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are perfectly enetitled to chase them for any damage beyond reasonable wear and tear. I think it has to go through the PRTB. Take photos before and after any repairs. Keep detailed receipts, etc.

The timber floor can be sanded and re-varnished. It is their right to be untidy, they just need to have the palce clean by the time they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just wondering: who were their references? Former landlord, or current boss? And if you didn't ask for any, you will next time.

Advertisement