Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did it take you to get preggers?

Options
  • 13-08-2007 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

My best friend is trying, she just came off the pill after being on it for many years...i know everyone is different just wondering how long it took you? She would also be classed as an 'older' mother, so her age prob wont help her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I am 33; it took my husband and I 30 cycles (ie got pregnant on our 31st) and some fertility treatment to get pregnant. Assuming she has regular cycles after coming of the pill and is ovulating, statistically she "should" get pegnant within a year; if it takes longer, it's a good idea to get some basic tests done just in case. If she is older than 37 or so, she may only want to wait 6 months, as time is against her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

It took us 18 months but, I have PCOS which was only diagnosed during that time.
    I wish her all the luck in the world it is the hardest thing to go through until you get the second blue line and then you do seem to forget it all. Well I did.

MrsA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

First attempt and I was 30 at the time, 2nd time in the first month and was 32 that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I was one of the very fortunate ones - came off the pill at 30, has DS1 at 31 first month of trying, had DS2 at 33 first month of trying and had DD at 39 first month of trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I had DD at 32 first month of trying but with DS at 34 it took a year which was a bit worrying. I wasn't on the pill beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks guys, she is 34 at the moment, so fingers crossed for her, she really wants it to i hope it happens for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks guys, she is 34 at the moment, so fingers crossed for her, she really wants it to i hope it happens for her.

Wish her the best of luck, but if it hasn't happened for her after 6 months she needs to start following up - don't let her be fobbed off for too long. As you said time is against her and heading into late 30's infertility rapidly increases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

It was an unplanned pregnancy here for me, so I have no idea how long it might take second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

I was on pill and depo and pill for about 18 years!!! Stopped 2 months before 36 birthday and was preggers two months later. Just stopped pill this month so fingers crossed for number 2 as time is not on my side. Have a friend who had 6 IVF's and took 2 yrs to adopt and now she is pregnant (she is 1 yr older than me).

My husband of course is taking all credit.........!!!!:)

• Advertisement

My husband of course is taking all credit.........!!!!:)
    So did my DH - after I got pregnant on number 3 he strutted around boasting about his "super swimmers":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

My best friend is trying, she just came off the pill after being on it for many years...i know everyone is different just wondering how long it took you? She would also be classed as an 'older' mother, so her age prob wont help her.

it could have damaged her insides. Tell her to go to the doctor just to be sure.

Spyral wrote:
    it could have damaged her insides. Tell her to go to the doctor just to be sure.

Not a very helpful post - IMO. Anyome trying to get pregnant would do well to have a general check up and start taking folic acid, but saying that the pill could have "damaged her insides" ??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was on the pill for 12 years, and off it for a year before trying for a baby. Got pregnant at 31 on the first attempt. (Which was a bit awkward seeing as my wedding was 4 months away.... I didnt think wed hit the nail on the head first time:rolleyes: ) Second baby at 33 on the second month of trying. I realise Im lucky, but it does show not everyone has problems concieving in their 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With my first I was 22 and on the pill and using it correctly and still got preggers
    and it was during my finals.

I was 25 and we decided to have another and with in the month I was preggers.

Honestly hurrah for contraception cos I could not be like my grandmothers who had 8 children ( 10 pregnancy's) and 10 children and 14 pregnancy's.

With the pill it can take a while for you body to readjust and it also depends on what a person's cycle was like before they went on the pill, I had a consistent 29 day cycle for years before I went on the pill.

I would suggest that your friend give it time, take care of her self and have a chat with her dr about diet and weight as they can be a factor and make sure to take her folic acid tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Not a very helpful post - IMO. Anyome trying to get pregnant would do well to have a general check up and start taking folic acid, but saying that the pill could have "damaged her insides" ??

what im saying is that it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that putting hormones into your body isn't natural and that there is always the possibility of causing harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hellbell123

afaik..the hormones in the pill are really a synthetic version of the hormones us women produce naturally and research has shown that using the pill can actually help protect against certain types of cancer..

OP ..wishing your friend the best of luck :)

helen

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy wasn't on the pill before we tried for either of our boys. Both times we were really blessed and got a result on the first go. She was 26 on HB Jr I & 31 on HB Jr II. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Spyral wrote:
    what im saying is that it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that putting hormones into your body isn't natural and that there is always the possibility of causing harm.

Pseudo-scientific rambling scaremongering nonsense tbh.

Watch out for Cornflakes, they're not natural and there is always the possibility that they are causing harm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

mel123 wrote:

took my wife 1 month :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Unfortunately, we've almost hit the two-year mark of trying and no luck as yet. I hope she gets her special angel soon!

Spyral wrote:

Oh yeah gotta hate all those unnatural hormones people put into their bodies willy nilly! What about those people with diabetes injecting insulin (another one of the nasty synthetic hormones!) - d'ya think thay should accept their "natural" fate? Of course there are well documented contraindications/complications and side effects from taking the pill - just as their are complications and possible harm associated with being pregnant too. Women need to weigh up the pros and cons of any sort of contraception and make up their mind based on that - not on a scaremongering comment like yours.

Advertisement