Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Puncture repair scam

Options
  • 13-08-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I thought I'd alert you to all to what I think is a bit of a scam. A few months ago I had a puncture and I brought my elderly car to a local "while you wait" tyre place. The mechanic fixed the puncture but told me that another one of my tyres was very worn and that he couldn't sleep thinking of me driving around with that tyre. Fair enough. I bought a tyre from him. A few days ago I had another puncture. Brought the car to the same place. Another mechanic was dealing with me and surprise surprise I have another tyre that is very dangerous. Is this a coincidence or what? I couldn't see any sign of wear myself. I think this place has a policy of trying to flog tyres when you don't need them. Be careful when getting your punctures repaired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Did you ask to see what was so dangerous? Tyre wear is obvious - and dangerous defects are also obvious. You don't need to be an expert once something is pointed out to you. Some tyre fitters are total scam merchants and you do have to be on your guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Isn't one of the questions on the driving test how to check if your tyres are safe?

Fair enough they shouldn't try to scam people but that said you should know how to check your tyres and know if they are safe or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yes there are scammers about but too many people make it easy for them by not putting any effort in to finding out for themselves basic information.

Google "tyre tread depth" or "tyre wear" and you will get a mass of information that will show you hoe to check your own tyres.

Anyone that does not know how to check their tyres to make sure they are safe to drive on should not be on the road in the first place IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Reminds me of the time on the Simpsons Homer goes for free wheel balancing and they con him into buying four tyres. Old gill is conned too and at one stage Homer says "I wish they would stop pointing and laughing". I have to second the opinion that you should be able to decide for yourself if a tyre needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless your driving on very bad roads, then having 2 punctures in a couple of months points to you having bad tyres. If tyres are in good condition then they will rarely get a puncture. Also what type of tyres have you fitted? Low profiles are easier to damage then normal tyres. Also even if they where good tyres and you're driving on some of our cr@p roads it is possible to destroy a tyre in no time.

As other people have said, you should be able to know if a tyre is damaged without a tyre repair place pointing it out to you. Don't forget to ask to see where the damage they couldn't let you on the road is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Go to any tyre place and hang around for a while.

The amount of pople dragging baldies out of boots to get repaired and to join the other three baldies still on the car is unreal.

Have a look at the tyres that finally got discarded ...threads showing on most of them, uneven wear to the tune of cm not mm, bulges, rips, tears ...

Told a lady outside work the other day that her right rear tyre was looking a bit deflated and she say "Oh my God ...what do I do now?"
    "Well just pump it up and then watch it if it keeps the pressure"
    "Pump it up? How do I do that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Hey just to let you know, I do maintain my car well and would never drive around with bald unsafe tyres. And in the 7 years of owning my 16 year old car, I have only had 3 punctures. The last two being so close to each other is a coincidence ( 2 different tyres, I might add). I declined the offer of a tyre replacement when I saw that there was very good depth to the tyre treads - even though the friendly tyre guy kept on about my "safety" etc. When you think about it, these tyre places are in the business of selling tyres. Who can blame them for trying to make a €15 puncture repair job into a €70 tyre replacement? Just be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mags16 - What exactly did the tyre guy say was wrong with the tyres?

It was obvious that the treads were ok. He pointed to the side of the tyre and said that it was it was soft - of course it was soft, it was the tyre that had the puncture! His english wasn't great and I thought it was a half hearted attempt because he had to try and flog a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got 4 new tyres once on a mitsubishi and the place i got them in ( who i wont name) never balanced the wheels even tho they charged extra for it !!! anyway i had war with them after a sh1t yourself incident on the m50 and went to another place to get the wheels balanced.

Went into the while u wait room and ur man (the boss may I add) who was looking at the car popped his head round the door and said "your going to need two new tyres on the front mate"

I wont tell you what i called him but i pointed out that the tyres had only been put on brand new that morning and were brand new. Unfortunately its th way its gone in this country if you dont know whats going on you get robbed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mags16 wrote:
    It was obvious that the treads were ok. He pointed to the side of the tyre and said that it was it was soft - of course it was soft, it was the tyre that had the puncture! His english wasn't great and I thought it was a half hearted attempt because he had to try and flog a tyre.

Did you drive any distance with the tyre flat/soft?

If you did then indeed the sidewall may be compromised, and is so the tyre is a a potential deathtrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bazzy wrote:
    I got 4 new tyres once on a mitsubishi and the place i got them in ( who i wont name) never balanced the wheels even tho they charged extra for it !!!
    Why won't you name them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

got a slow puncture in galway city, went to repair place near LIDL ( anyone remembers the name??). Left the car in, filled in the details ( as in exact tyre). came back, went to pay for repair, they informed me that they fitted on a new tyre ( without consulting.!.). said they are required BY LAW not to repair what's in their eyes bald tyres. Is that true??? right, paid 55 quid. went home. slow puncture AGAIN! on the same tyre. had a closer look - the tyre with the puncture STILL there, a brand new tyre on another side...

fek** eejits. came back, they fitted on a new tyre instead of a punctured one. made it sound like they were giving me a deal of a century by not charging me for it.

Just something to be aware of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I thought you were always supposed to replace tyres in pairs.
    Eg. the front pair, or back pair.... to avoid a mismatch in grip which might potentially veer your car more to the left/right under hard braking ?

maidhc wrote:
    Did you drive any distance with the tyre flat/soft?

If you did then indeed the sidewall may be compromised, and is so the tyre is a a potential deathtrap.

It wasn't completely flat and I drove it slowly for about 100 yards. I live very near the tyre place. And might I add, €15 euro is very reasonable for a puncture repair. As long as you don't fall for the dangerous tyre line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

On a 70 quid tyre, which includes delivery of the tyre to the depot, VAT, fitting & balancing, they'll hardly make any more than they would on just doing a puncture repair for you to be honest....

I know the margins, at least for Advance Pitstop anyway....It actually makes sod all difference to the lads - They're not on commission so 9 out of 10 times they're actually just trying to set you straight.

There will always be muppets, but on this one I've encountered many more lads who actually care than muppets looking for an easy upgrade on a sale.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Anan1 wrote:
    Why won't you name them?
    Because the place that never balanced the wheels in the first place took it very very serious and refunded me a price of one of the tyres and getting it balanced elsewhere. The second place were chancing there arm. Who in a service industry in ireland doesnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

All you 'tyre experts' should also know that apart from thread wear, tyre age is also an important factor when inspecting tyres.

Relying on visible signs of wear and miles for hints is incomplete!

Advertisement