Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools TDM to LE

Options
  • 13-08-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
    Am doing some recording in a Pro Tools TDM studio shortly and I want to be able to open the projects at home in LE when I'm done.
    What settings do I need to make on the TDM system so as not to run into compatibility issues and PC power issues at home!
    So far I've just come up with reducing the sampling rate and limiting the amount of tracks. Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

You shouldn't have to do anything really. TDM session will open into LE just like any other session, besides the warning at startup that I/O settings have been changed. I presume you're mixing at home in LE so you don't have to worry about using plugins installed on the TDM system that you don't own at home.

But just a few points about reducing the sampling rate and limiting the amount of tracks...why?

The track limit on LE may be 32 (or 48 with the expansion) but you can still open a 32/48+ track session, you'll see the waveform for all tracks. Any tracks over the limit will just be greyed out as there aren't sufficent voices, but you can reassign the voices as you see fit so there's no reason to limit your track count. Don't be left at the mixing stage wishing you hadn't stuck up another mic on a cab because at the back of your head you were thinking about LE track limit! If your PC can't handle it then delete the track, but better to have it than not to have it.

Same goes for the sample rate. I don't know what spec your PC is but record at 192/24 if you have the option. You can always resample if your CPU is having trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Cheers for that Niall, I didn't realise that about the track count, and resampling if I get stuck may be the way to go. Thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Same goes for the sample rate. I don't know what spec your PC is but record at 192/24 if you have the option. You can always resample if your CPU is having trouble.

I wouldnt go recording at 192/24, because you wont be able to use it, and will have to re-sample down to 96k at highest, depending on what LE system you're using. The 002/003 can only handle 96k maximum, and an Mbox 2 or Mbox is 48k max.

Also, 192/24 will create a huge session file-size wise, and it just seems to be creating a lot more hassle and work for you in the long run, in getting the session transferred and the time it takes to re-sample.

96/24 would be fine for most projects, no?

It will be an mbox so I suppose 48 from the get go. Anyone know if you can run 2 mboxes at the same time using LE?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Anyone know if you can run 2 mboxes at the same time using LE?

No, you can only use one.
    jebusmusic wrote:
    I wouldnt go recording at 192/24, because you wont be able to use it, and will have to re-sample down to 96k at highest, depending on what LE system you're using. The 002/003 can only handle 96k maximum, and an Mbox 2 or Mbox is 48k max.

Also, 192/24 will create a huge session file-size wise, and it just seems to be creating a lot more hassle and work for you in the long run, in getting the session transferred and the time it takes to re-sample.

96/24 would be fine for most projects, no?

Yeah thats fair enough. I just always try to track at the highest possible sample/bitrate possible (within reason), you never know where the session might end up, the band might request the original files for remix for example or you may get an opportunity in the near future to mix with a HD or similar system that can support 192kHz. You might even do a mix at the end of the session that the band love without need for further mixing outside the studio.

And I feel though there might not be that much of a difference at 88.2/96kHz, theres definitely a difference recording at 192kHz which is worth the extra effort (and disk space)

• Advertisement

I'll take that on board. Cheers

Advertisement