Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Hair/coat Condition

Options
  • 13-08-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I have a cat and he has always shed a lot of hair even when its not the time that they normally do it, I brush him about once a week or that and always its a load of hair that comes off, his coat seems a bit on the dry side and not as shiny as it should be, he eats normal cat food both dry and wet stuff.

can any 1 recommend a tonic or that which would improve his coat and more importantly stop him shedding all over the house! btw hes a indoor n outdoor cat, sleeps in kitchen at night and is neutured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 twinkle99

Hi Piskins there are a couple of tonics you can add to the cat food -- you can get from good pet shops I've never used them though so can't really comment
    But sometimes dull coats is due to diet. Apparently the Royal Canin dry feed is the best food for cats and their coats! so I'm told.
    Its probably worth changing your cats diet plus adding tonic maybe for 2 weeks see how it works, if no better maybe bring it to the vet or something?
    My cat is shedding like mad right now as well I take it this is time of year for fur shedding or something? come to think of it when do they stop shedding??!! :)
    And can I just ask you does your cat hunt a lot? I've a serious problem with mine he's like a serial killer of all small things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I would definitely suggest changing the diet - I switched to Hills Science Plan for dry food, and their coats are very, very shiny now. Still feed them their cheap wet food, but switching to the more expensive dry food has made a difference.

Also, maybe try some nutritious food like sardines in oil or so...

Also, as suggested, try brushing the cat sometimes, to get rid of the old hair, and make the fur a little glossier! (also helps when they're shedding - at least most of the fur will be trapped in the brush, and not around the house...) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

he will hunt a small bit, maybe the odd mouse or bird, but not a whole lot, will look into those tonics and cat food.

another problem I have with him is that there is another cat in the estate, not sure if he is belong to any one that lives here or what, is a male tom cat, not neutured, but they have had a couple of massive rows in the last while, the amount of fur that has come off my fella is mad, like snow around the place after it, i had though once he was neutured that he wouldnt really do stuff like that, he is neutured about 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Perhaps try to switch food? My cats are on husse and people always compliment how well their coat looks. Royal Canin are good as well.

Also, you can give them a supplement of salmon oil over their food. (see www.onlynaturalpet.eu). It's rich in essential fatty oils like Omega 3 and will help to bring out a shine in their coat. Also, some health shops carry a seaweed powder that you can put over your pet's food. It contains loads of benefical minerals. I haven't used it yet, but my mate uses it for her show dogs and their coats are fantastic.

Just be careful when adding vitamins to your pet's diet. I bought some Bob Martin vitamin sticks for my cats in Tesco thinking that would help their health more, but I was warned by my pet food supplier that like humans, overdosing on some vitamins can be harmful to cats and you shouldn't give vitamin supplements on a complete food. They're more for if you feed your cat Whiskas, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Perhaps try to switch food? My cats are on husse and people always compliment how well their coat looks. Royal Canin are good as well.

Also, you can give them a supplement of salmon oil over their food. (see www.onlynaturalpet.eu). It's rich in essential fatty oils like Omega 3 and will help to bring out a shine in their coat. Also, some health shops carry a seaweed powder that you can put over your pet's food. It contains loads of benefical minerals. I haven't used it yet, but my mate uses it for her show dogs and their coats are fantastic.

Just be careful when adding vitamins to your pet's diet. I bought some Bob Martin vitamin sticks for my cats in Tesco thinking that would help their health more, but I was warned by my pet food supplier that like humans, overdosing on some vitamins can be harmful to cats and you shouldn't give vitamin supplements on a complete food. They're more for if you feed your cat Whiskas, etc.

yeah he eats Whiskas and that and other brands, will look into that other food and that website, thanks fr the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement