Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Two Computers Together

Options
  • 13-08-2007 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

I want to connect two computers together- one is my laptop and the other is my home PC so that i can share and transfer files.

I have a netopia router which will i can connect wirelessly from the laptop to and i can connect the yellow ethernet cable from my home PC to the netopia router also. how do i set it up ?

Also can i connect the two together directly via the yellow the ethernet cable for transferring files over and back.

Also , will remote assistance work for both of the above connection sceanarios?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You should also mention which Operating System you are using.

Also you most likely have a firewall so you would need to open it up a little, but not too much, any version of windows before Vista would get owned in a quarter of an hour without a firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I would suggest you ask this question on the CastleCops forums www.castlecops.com where you will get all the assistance you require.

hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

When both are connected to the router through whatever method (ethernet (cable) or wireless) you just need to share the folders that you want to share (you can share entire drives if you wish). You will need to ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled however in windows. If using a non windows firewall you may need to configure it to allow the other machine to connect.

Using that yellow cable directly between the two machines won't work. What you would need is something called a crossover cable. It is wired slightly differently than your current cable is.

Remote assistance (i assume you mean remote connection as remote assistance would be an awkward way of doing it) should indeed work once both machines are connected to the same network.

I assume you are running XP (not sure which version of XP has remote connection though, possibly all) or Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

I have another problem now - i was messing about last night trying to set up a home network between laptop and the PC via the microsoft wizard . While i was doing this i must have changed some user settings for the file access.

On the Laptop , i originally had a shared folder which could be accessed by the both users of the laptop . Now after messing around with the network settings ,i cant access this folder called 'shared documents' ( it seems to have disappered ) and cant access the 'all documents' folder either , even though i have administration privilages on the laptop.

All my music was in this shared folder and now it seems to have disappeared.
    Please help - all suggestions welcome

PS i am running Windows XP home -
    I have tried the system restore and this didnt bring the 'shared documents folder' back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jay80

No idea about the shared folder disappeaing or whatnot but you could probably just do a search on 'My Computer' for *.mp3 files, might find out where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

culabula88 wrote:
    I want to connect two computers together- one is my laptop and the other is my home PC so that i can share and transfer files.

I have a netopia router which will i can connect wirelessly from the laptop to and i can connect the yellow ethernet cable from my home PC to the netopia router also. how do i set it up ?

Also can i connect the two together directly via the yellow the ethernet cable for transferring files over and back.

Also , will remote assistance work for both of the above connection sceanarios?

Your laptop should connect automatically. Most routers by default are setup to configure the wireless network automatically using a built in DHCP server included in the firmware.

Second, is your PC connected to the netopia router now and is this router used to connect to the internet (i.e. are you reading this while connected to the same router)? If you, then you are already networked and ready to go.

If not, your going to need to find what the IP address is on your laptop and then configure your PC on the same subnet (more than likely it will be either a 192.168.1.* or 192.168.2.* address).

Without knowing if your using the same router currently and without knowing if your laptop is currently connected I can't tell you anymore yet.

-S

Advertisement