Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto gearbox problems, S type Jaguar

Options
  • 14-08-2007 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

04' with around 45,000 miles. Noticed lately that car revs close to red line before changing upwards from first and second with a bit of a judder and a surge. When driving slowly in traffic it sometimes takes an age to get to third and onwards. I usually put the foot down a bit harder now to get it out of these gears when it happens but when it gets to third it goes full steam ahead with no waiting around - dangerous. It seems messed up and if it's happening more frequently .... any idea? Couldn't replicate problem in front of passenger naturally enough! Expensive to fix?? around 4 months outside warranty I think :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What does the Jaguar servicing schedule say about changing automatic transmission oil + filter? If you don't know, ring any Jaguar dealer and find out. Let us know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

unkel wrote:
    What does the Jaguar servicing schedule say about changing automatic transmission oil + filter? If you don't know, ring any Jaguar dealer and find out. Let us know!

Thanks unkel, this was also suggested by PM. So I have booked it in to have it checked out. I hope its only the oil and nothing mechanical.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The reason I mentioned it is that the manufacturers of many newish cars claim that their autoboxes are "sealed for life", i.e. never need the oil / filter changed. This is quite controversial - many people don't agree with it

Anyway, let us know how you're getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There's a good chance the fault lies in th eelectronics of the gearbox. Electronic faults are probably the most common type of fault in a modern autobox.

Advertisement