Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Collaborative Recording

Options
  • 14-08-2007 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I dunno how realistic this is, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway, just a thought. ;)

I remember reading a thread a while back on the Photography forum about a couple of boards photographers who rented out a photo studio and hired a few models to practice their photography skills, share tips etc.

Was wondering if there'd be any interest in doing the same kinda thing here?

I'm talking about a couple of the regulars here chipping in to rent out a good quality studio for a day, get a boards band to come along and lay down a song. We could even then put up the results for download for all the other regulars to mix, et voila, Mix Collaboration. Two birds with one stone!

Grouse Lodge anybody? :p Ok maybe a bit too much, but if we got 4 or 5 of us and got the band to chip in for the "privilege" of being recorded by the cream of the boards.ie sound engineering crew, we could get somewhere pretty decent. Somewhere with a good board/mic/preamp/outboard collection so we could really muck about and hear things. Learn some ****.

What do you's think! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Sounds good, donno what band would volunteer as lab rats though. Theres a similar thing going on with gigsmart but its just for drum recording: http://www.gigsmartireland.com/forum2004/forum_posts.asp?TID=22292

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Thanks man hadn't seen that, looks interesting. Might give you a buzz about that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

I'd be interested in this. Although my studio skills are limited, I would be willing to chip in.

Although, if a lot of good Engineers reply I'll gracefully bow out. Too many cooks and all that!!!

Cheers,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

great idea. would it be a weekend? im in galway and presume it will be in dublin some where?

Would be great to get a place with a class board and 2" and maybe focus on the recording and micing techniques as opposed to mixing (or maybe mix somewhere else? too expensive :o) )
    What kind of money would off peak studio with a great live room,board and 2" cost. you would need topclass converters and pres and mics too.

actually you would prob have to pay for tape too so maybe d2d would be easier if the converters are top end.

if you got 10 ppl and and a band suppose you would be looking at 30-50 quid each? not bad for the experience you would get i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

booooonzo wrote:
    great idea. would it be a weekend? im in galway and presume it will be in dublin some where?

Would be great to get a place with a class board and 2" and maybe focus on the recording and micing techniques as opposed to mixing (or maybe mix somewhere else? too expensive :o) )
    What kind of money would off peak studio with a great live room,board and 2" cost. you would need topclass converters and pres and mics too.

actually you would prob have to pay for tape too so maybe d2d would be easier if the converters are top end.

if you got 10 ppl and and a band suppose you would be looking at 30-50 quid each? not bad for the experience you would get i reckon.

Dunno anywhere that'd still record to 2 inch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

A reel of 2" is over €200, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

There is a good few studios with 24 trk 2" but it might hike the price up alright. would be great to track the drums with though.

Beach park looks like a great place. great gear and live room looks good. wonder what the price is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeah there's plenty of places that still have 2" machines, dunno if it'd be worth the extra expense for something like this though.
    booooonzo wrote:

Personally I think that'd be way too many people, I was imagining more along the lines of 5 or 6 max.

Anyway I don't think there's enough interest from the looks of things, sound engineers are obviously solitary! :D

Advertisement