Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corp Gardai Behaviour

Options
  • 14-08-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why they are so ignorant? Are Gardai on the beat or at the desk in the station seem to be trained separately as they appear to be reasonably professional. Traffic Corp gardai just seem to rant & rave.

Got done for driving in bus lane in Cork yesterday. Wasn't familiar with the road, was at least 10 other cars in the lane ahead of me & I knew the outer lane only went right & suspected would not be able to get back into the lane.

Fair enough I was done but guard just seemed to to want to write reg numbers in his notebook & point & wave. When I looked bemused he seemed annoyed he had to actually walk up to my window. Felt like I was back in school with the "I won't tell you again..." line I asked if he could give me a ticket without explaining why I was getting it. :rolleyes:

Do guards not actually issue a ticket any more?

Is the garda training so poor they have to argue with everyone? Seems a very stressful way to earn a living. Would it not be easier & professional to explain what the driver did wrong (even if it is obvious) & inform that a ticket was being issued?

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you brushing the entire division based on your one experience?
    Being inexperienced with a road does not make a difference and anyway a bus lane is hard to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

So true. How did you miss the signs and the road markings? Were you paying attention at all? or are you in a huff 'cos u were caught and decided to blame the garda for giving you a lecture? I have noticed an increase in the amount of ppl who will not accept they have done wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TheNog wrote:
    So true. How did you miss the signs and the road markings? Were you paying attention at all? or are you in a huff 'cos u were caught and decided to blame the garda for giving you a lecture? I have noticed an increase in the amount of ppl who will not accept they have done wrong.
    Re-read the post, and you'll see that the issue the OP is having is not with the offence itself, for which he put his hand up and admitted his guilt, but with the attitude of the Garda involved. It's this whole condescending, 'lecturing' thing and talking down to people as if they were still at school that he (and others in similar threads here) are complaining about. Maybe you find that acceptable treatment, I and many others don't, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

McSpud wrote:
    Would it not be easier & professional to explain what the driver did wrong (even if it is obvious) & inform that a ticket was being issued?

Perhaps they are sick of people being ignorant to the rules of the road. If people can't comprehend road markings and signs then it's easy to come to the conclusion that pointing and waving are the only things they may understand.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Perhaps they are sick of people being ignorant to the rules of the road. If people can't comprehend road markings and signs then it's easy to come to the conclusion that pointing and waving are the only things they may understand.
    Well, if they're that fed up with the job, then maybe they should just resign and find something more suitable where they can point and wave as much as they like ... maybe a night club bouncer. Being in a bad mood for whatever reason is no excuse for rude behaviour in a public facing job such as theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Alun wrote:
    Well, if they're that fed up with the job, then maybe they should just resign and find something more suitable where they can point and wave as much as they like ... maybe a night club bouncer. Being in a bad mood for whatever reason is no excuse for rude behaviour in a public facing job such as theirs.

Exactly.. It's the attitude of many (no, not all) Gardai that's their biggest problem. Far too many of them think a badge gives them the right to intimidate and patronise the general public.

Add to that their often cynical and revenue-oriented selective enforcement of the road traffic regulations and that's what most people take issue with.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Out of interest, are you talking about the buslane coming into dennheys cross?

Alun wrote:
    Well, if they're that fed up with the job, then maybe they should just resign and find something more suitable where they can point and wave as much as they like

As far as I was concerend a member of the Garda Síochána is fully entitled to point and wave.

Perhaps the OP mistook the garda acting as pointsman to direct traffic the OP was causing a disruption to.

I do also think the the OP statement of "I asked if he could give me a ticket without explaining why I was getting it" is a bit rich if he knew he was in the wrong, it certainly doesn't help situations.

Bluetonic wrote:
    As far as I was concerned a member of the Garda Síochána is fully entitled to point and wave.
    They're also 'entitled', whatever that may mean, to scratch their @rses or pick their noses while on duty, but whether that actually contributes in a positive way to what they're trying to achieve is another matter.
    Perhaps the OP mistook the garda acting as pointsman to direct traffic the OP was causing a disruption to.
    Maybe, but whereas other police forces seem to manage to train their officers to give clear and meaningful instructions which are therefore easy to comply with, the best most gardai on traffic duty here do can really only be described as just that, i.e. 'pointing and waving'. Witness some of the hopeless attempts at directing traffic during Operation Freeflow .. a scarecrow would be of more use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any Traffic Corp Gardai I have dealt with were fine, even when they were giving me points.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    Witness some of the hopeless attempts at directing traffic during Operation Freeflow .. a scarecrow would be of more use.

Agree with you there alright, mind you during operation free flow they don't actually seem to do anything more than ensure traffic light poles stay upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Bluetonic wrote:
    As far as I was concerend a member of the Garda Síochána is fully entitled to point and wave.

I do also think the the OP statement of "I asked if he could give me a ticket without explaining why I was getting it" is a bit rich if he knew he was in the wrong, it certainly doesn't help situations.

I have watched those English "Motorway Police" shows on Bravo.

The traffic cops there seem to take people into the back seat of their cars and say something along the lines "You know what you were doing, I know what you were doing. No sense in trying to justify it. Here's your ticket".

This professionalism isn't in abundance amongst the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The traffic corps need to be particularly forceful because they have to deal with all manner of idiots who think that they can't do anything wrong, or who think that somehow they should get special treatment because they made an honest mistake.

Basically, in the OP's case, the Garda can't distinguish between someone who "didn't see" a bus lane and some arrogant prick who thinks that they have a right to use it.

I read the below the other day and it sums up perfectly for me the attitude of anyone I've ever met who claims that the Gardai are a shower of **** constantly hassling them:
    http://www.overheardindublin.com/story.php?id=4198

seamus wrote:
    The traffic corps need to be particularly forceful because they have to deal with all manner of idiots who think that they can't do anything wrong, or who think that somehow they should get special treatment because they made an honest mistake.

Basically, in the OP's case, the Garda can't distinguish between someone who "didn't see" a bus lane and some arrogant prick who thinks that they have a right to use it.

I read the below the other day and it sums up perfectly for me the attitude of anyone I've ever met who claims that the Gardai are a shower of **** constantly hassling them:
    http://www.overheardindublin.com/story.php?id=4198

They don't need to be forceful. They need to be professional and efficient.

If someone thinks they haven't done anything wrong, the ticket will persuade them otherwise. And if they disagree with that then a judge will sort it out.

It is the Garda's job to enforce the law. Not decide on the punishment.

Qft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Donald Fagen

Alun wrote:
    Qft!
    You didn't even quote anything; duh!

OP: Even just hearing your side of the story, you still sound like a bus lane chancer who got caught. Tough sh*t. Get over it.

The post immediately above mine was implied there .. no need to waste perfectly good electrons, not to mention screen real estate on a full quote :)

With regard to the OP being a 'bus lane chancer', maybe he was, but that's not the point of this thread. It's about the professionalism, or otherwise, of certain members of the Gardai when dealing with members of the public. I don't care what offence he may, or may not have committed, that's irrelevant.

OP: Even just hearing your side of the story, you still sound like a bus lane chancer who got caught. Tough sh*t. Get over it.

Exactly. Take the fine. Be on your way.

That is what the OP wanted. He knew why he was being stopped. He accepts the punishment. He knows the reason not to use bus lanes. So why should he be on the receiving end of a diatribe from a moron with a red face dressed in leathers?

That is what the OP wanted. He knew why he was being stopped. He accepts the punishment. He knows the reason not to use bus lanes. So why should he be on the receiving end of a diatribe from a moron with a red face dressed in leathers?
    Because the OP didn't want an explanation, but next week there'll be someone on here giving out that the Garda gave them a ticket but didn't explain why. The lecture is a preventative measure more than anything. The Garda has every right to explain what the OP did wrong and treat them like a child for doing something stupid.

seamus wrote:
    The Garda has every right to explain what the OP did wrong ..
    Agreed, as long as it's done professionally and politely.
    and treat them like a child for doing something stupid.
    What utter horsesh!te. You really don't get this whole 'professionalism' thing do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Tazzle wrote:
    Out of interest, are you talking about the buslane coming into dennheys cross?

Thats the one. I was originally in the outside lane but was fairly sure that changed to right turn only. There was already about 10 cars in the 'bus lane' ahead of me. It was a stupid mistake as I wasn't paying enough attention & not saying its an excuse just explaining that its an easy mistake.

If a guard is unable to make his point without raising his voice then surely he is in the wrong job? He did seemed stressed as indicated by his body language & pointing & waving at people to either stay in the bus lane or move out of the bus lane.

From what I have observed the Traffic Corp Biker attitude (is it a biker mentality? ;) ) is just the same in Cork as in Dublin. The Thames Valley police on tv would be the best alternative explain I can find - explain to people what they have done wrong & why it is dangerous before giving them a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Donald Fagen

Because when people are caught in the wrong they usually exaggerate how bad a bollicking they got.
    The fact that you even referred to the Garda as a "moron with a red face dressed in leathers" proves my point that people will whinge about nonsense because they simply resent being caught - you don't know he was a "moron", because you weren't there. "Red face": And? "Leathers": He's a motorycle cop - so what's your point?
    There goes another bandwagon - hop on!

Alun wrote:
    What utter horsesh!te. You really don't get this whole 'professionalism' thing do you?
    You can treat someone like a child in a professional manner. Someone brought up Thames Valley Police as an example of a professional force - anytime I've seen them on these programmes, they tend to treat people like complete idiots.

seamus wrote:
    You can treat someone like a child in a professional manner. Someone brought up Thames Valley Police as an example of a professional force - anytime I've seen them on these programmes, they tend to treat people like complete idiots.
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm not sure how you can treat someone as a child in a professional manner, and I don't consider what I've seen of the way they treat people as falling into that category either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Try not paying the fine and going to court.

See how the Judge will make you feel. You will wish you were in school and could only receive lines or an essay. And try talking back to a judge like so many people do to gardai....see what happens.

You fcuked up, you got caught. Why should the garda have to explain the rules of the road to you. If you passed a test you should know them.

As for not telling you that you are getting a ticket. He doesnt have to. If you break the law you should now the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

You get muppets in each and every job. Vast majority are fine. The gardaí should be no exception.
    These are people after all who get up in the morning, have families etc... so its possible they can and do have bad days from time to time.
    My mate and I were driving down on our bikes to Wexford and got pulled on the N11 for speeding (well my mate was). Extermely nice guy, just nicely and professionally said 'listen you were caught speeding.... on a stretch of road thats notorious for fatalities. I dont want another biker adding to the statistics. A ticket will be in the post. Drive safe. For what its worth its a lovely bike. you dont want to wreck it!'
    This is the way you should be treated.
    That said, I notice lately around here, and it is a worrying sign that there is a 'fear' for want of a better word to criticise the Gardaí.
    If a garda is unprofessional in his manner of dealing with you. Get his numbers, make a complaint. After a number of complaints are made about a particular garda the garda ombudsman will wise up to a serial offending garda (one who is a tosser and abusing his position) and one who has the odd bad day. The serial offender will be looked into. It doesn't matter whether you broke the law or not driving in the buslane. That garda was unprofessional. End of. That isn't part of the job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Chief--- wrote:
    Try not paying the fine and going to court.

See how the Judge will make you feel. You will wish you were in school and could only receive lines or an essay. And try talking back to a judge like so many people do to gardai....see what happens.

You fcuked up, you got caught. Why should the garda have to explain the rules of the road to you. If you passed a test you should know them.

As for not telling you that you are getting a ticket. He doesnt have to. If you break the law you should now the consequences.

Just because a judge is able to treat people like sh!t doesn't make it right, and if thats what the Gardai are seeing then that explains the problem. Every other police force I've experienced or seen on TV have always came over and explained the reason why they have stopped you. It makes perfect sense to tell people if they are getting a ticket and why.

Whats the point in someone commiting an offence and getting stopped by a Garda, if the error they commited isn't told to them till several weeks later. Better to have a quick chat and tell what they have done wrong then let them drive around the corner and get done for the very same thing, or is this the revenue earning side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I was done on the Navan Road for a bus lane offence some time ago. Mad late for work and just took a chance.. The Guard said ''you know your offence Mr C.I.E'':D i replied ''indeed Guard''

Wrote up my paticulars etc etc Roughly one/two minutes later i was off and he also said ''take care''. I think this is what the OP is talking about. I got no lecture no waving of arms and i drove away thinking ..hmm he was sound.

Needless to say that was the first and last time i used the bus lane.
    Maybe the OP'S guard had a bad day ..who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

anyone who is of the opinion the gardai should give ticekts without explaining the reason for the ticket is a moron tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

It is true that there are Garda Traffic Corps members out there who take the job beyond that which it is, only a job.

Bear in mind that they are also human beings, who have bad days and often say things they later regret having said. I'm sorry to hear that you thought you got a bad berating, I'm somewhat relieved to read that the general consensus among the boards.ie posters is that they've been treated fairly well in most incidents.

Advertisement