Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving NTL

Options
  • 14-08-2007 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm feeling a little sad, (but only a little) to say that I'm leaving NTL and their current "broadband" to enjoy a proper Internet experience again.

I was over the moon when I got the NTL leaflet in the door, and joined up same day, vowing to leave eircom. (about 3 years now). It was so good, and the service was magic. Speeds were increased to 6 MB after a while. Then two events occurred which ruined it for me. I started to get letters about over-use, and the UPC takeover happened.

Now the CS staff were just moaning about my upload speeds, as I was only getting 30-40K total on my downloads. Yes, and I'm not ashamed, I keep a little list of torrents downloading. But I never got above about 50k download except on occasions that frightened me. With 40mb/mth guide, I felt I was safe until the letters started arriving. I cut back, but the service got dreadful. Web pages were taking 30 seconds to load, I was getting timeouts on my wireless, sites seemed to be blocked, ....

After a few months chasing Irish Broadband who supply my job, I gave up and looked for a decent current supplier. My chosen route is UTV Quicksilver. Tonight I connected it up, with the usual hiccups (which phone cable in the spaghetti goes to my old DSL splitter - connect a new one, what's my user/pass - reconnect old NTL and print the email).

Now I'm up and running with a single connect. Networking can wait. The UTV speed is an eye-opener to me. Only 3Mb/384k, but at least I'm getting most of it. I was getting 500k Down from the NTL connection for a 6MB price.

So I will now have the pleasure of phoning NTL and cancelling their Cable Modem service. AND their digital TV. AND their analogue TV. (I have a full SKY package which now gives me all I want).

Apart from the restored speed, the quicksilver package includes a €5.99/mth option for Unlimited Download. This is the way to go, not throttling or charging overuse. If anyone has a better suggestion, I am considering a second connection. I can't ge Smart yet, and Magnet have stopped doing household.

Tonight, I am a happy camper!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

captainpat wrote:
    Apart from the restored speed, the quicksilver package includes a €5.99/mth option for Unlimited Download. This is the way to go, not throttling or charging overuse. If anyone has a better suggestion, I am considering a second connection. I can't ge Smart yet, and Magnet have stopped doing household.

Tonight, I am a happy camper!!

Just wait until the utv fair use kicks in and then you'll find yourself in the same quandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Since they have a specific charge for Unlimited, they would be on a sticky wicket if they start limiting. Still, I'll hardly be able to attract attention with my sources, which rarely get me over 50-60k/sec. Anyway, what choices do I have in this benighted isle?

Advertisement