Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 annoyances.

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

1 - Navbar should be viewable when you're not logged in.
    2 - Cookie control to keep sessions longer.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

navbar? you mean the java menus?

tbh, if you want it then register. same goes for ads in the middle of threads when you're not logged in. just ways to encourage people to register..

and I've never had problems with boards logging me out.. I could go off for 5hrs come back and click refresh, and not asked for a password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

2. Tick the 'Remember Me' box when you login again, never had problems with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I do find my sessions dont last very long either, could have boards open in the background and find i've been logged out when next i refresh. Im reluctant to do the "remember me" thing on some of the computers i use, as they get used by other people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ruu wrote:
    2. Tick the 'Remember Me' box when you login again, never had problems with it either.
    and I've never had problems with boards logging me out.. I could go off for 5hrs come back and click refresh, and not asked for a password.
    That's fine if you're on your own computer at home, guys, and no-one else has access, or only people you can trust. Bit different if you're using a work computer ... only inviting the office messer to get access to your account and post shíte.

Edit: Snap, Rebel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

thats just weird, especially at 4:44!

Would have been really weird if it was at 6:66...for numerous reasons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Would have been really weird if it was at 6:66...for numerous reasons...
    I see what you did there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

That's fine if you're on your own computer at home, guys, and no-one else has access, or only people you can trust. Bit different if you're using a work computer ... only inviting the office messer to get access to your account and post shíte.
    Lock your screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

SofaKing wrote:
    Lock your screen?
    Aye ... if I remembered! :(

Automatic logout handier, though it does tend to irritate me at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm constantly getting logged out, irritates the shít outta me, if I'm not active for more than 2 minutes I get logged out *shakes fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Both of those would make the site less performant for everyone else (especially the sessions thing - sessions simply aren't scalable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have it auto-lock after 1min of inactivity (have this as there's some tricksters about my office :))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

dlofnep wrote:
    1 - Navbar should be viewable when you're not logged in.

isn't that disabled for the sake of the server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

isn't that disabled for the sake of the server?

No idea - If it's for bandwidth/resource reasons, then I understand. Other than that though, tis annoying.

Perhaps give us the option to specify how long we want our cookie's to last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Odd I've never had any problems with login/out. Ever, unless I type in the url rather than the usual (its my home page).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think the menus are disabled until the user logs in for the sake of server load, and that aside, the advertisements in the middle of the thread are more than enough incentive for me to log in.

About the sessions, am I right in assuming that even when you hit "Remember me" you'll only be logged in until you hit "Log out", when the cookie will become invalid? So it shouldn't be a problem even when using shared computers.(I could be wrong about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dlofnep wrote:
    No idea - If it's for bandwidth/resource reasons, then I understand. Other than that though, tis annoying.

Everytime the nav bar loads theres a server hit. Thats why it's not enabled for non-logged in users.

As for sessions, use cookies and log out when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Then don't use it at home?

As for the locking the screen thing, it's just Win+L every time you leave your computer, it doesn't take long to get into the habit of it. Had a few office messers messing around with my PC before and these days I don't even take a leak without locking it.

Advertisement