Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owning Replica Guns

Options
  • 14-08-2007 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if its legal to own replica guns.For Gun Enthusiasts as they are hardly getting a licence for an assault rifle/grenade launcher etc.
    I know brandishing one in public is an offence and carrying one in public is too but is possession illegal also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not sure on this one.
    Some of the airsoft guns look fairly real and they are perfectly legal once it doesn't break the 1 joule rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

I was thinking of buying an AK47 Replica as the gun just fascinates me and an M4 is too expensive thats if they are legal of course and i can find a place that sells them

Sounds like you are talking about deactivaed real(not replica) guns?
    If thats the case someone on the shooting forum ( under sports ) can probably help you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My 13 year old cousin, Came home from Bulgaria last Sunday with handgun and shotgun...Kinda shocked at that.

Never got the reason of getting replica guns to be honest.

• Advertisement

@tuxy: deactivated ones are about €400 i think.The replicas would do the same job would they not as deac's have the slide sealed i believe under the new code.

@creggy: i wonder how he got past airport security with those

creggy wrote:
    My 13 year old cousin, Came home from Bulgaria last Sunday with handgun and shotgun...Kinda shocked at that.
    Why were you shocked?
    Had he no interest in guns before visiting Bulgaria?

The fact got through Dublin Airport with Replica's guns. He didnt even get checked...JOKE

Nope, He got them as gifts for his brothers who think there John Rambo now

Eurm, I would think he just put them in check in luggage.
    Do you really think he got on-board with it on his person? :rolleyes:

Yeah but still, i find very didgy though. Imagine if it was a real gun...

• Advertisement

creggy wrote:
    Yeah but still, i find very didgy though. Imagine if it was a real gun...

Well if it was a real gun he still would have been prevented from hijacking a plane. :)

I think you should post on the shooting forum #Smokey# a lot of posters there have good knowledge of gun laws in this country. I would say the law for these is the same as people as people who have deactivated guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.
    I'm not sure if this is the right place.
    If not, feel free to throw it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Replica firearms perfectly legal to own without formality i.e. classed as toys and not covered by the firearms act. Carrying on around in pocket BAD though.

De-activated firearms are subject to authorization from local superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Carrying on around in pocket BAD though.
    Bad as in illegal in fact.

Yes i knew that part already.So replica's are safe and legal then.
    Does anyone know of any places where you can buy them?

And if i got a deactivated gun could i mod it as it if i got an M4 could i out an RIS rail on it etc or can replicas be customised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

What do you actually want to do with them?

Is it important to you to strip them down or not?
    and
    Do you just want them for decoration or to hang on your wall ?

If ya want to be looking at tiny tiny details and poking around at internals
    a de-act may be the way to go but it may be a small bit of hassle or expensive.
    Take a look at these deactivated ones:
    http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/Deactivated_Weapons_and_Inert_Goods.html

Going off topic for a wee minute but related to the post in some ways.........
    If you want something that externally looks almost like the real thing
    and can have a bit of fun customizing go got an airsoft toy.
    I recently bought some and have more on the way because they
    were cheap and looked nice and perfectly legal and there was no hassles with
    the law and you did not have to beg the cops for letters of permission etc

I've recently purchased an M4's airsoft from eirsoft.ie
    and a pistol that used gas to recock itself and fire
    very very cheaply!!! I may add, if you take a look at this
    thread and ask on the airsoft forums they may be helpfuly over thair
    as some of the stuff is amazing looking.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065511

~B

Well I was planning on hanging one on my wall.I like the AK47 because it is the most durable AR i have seen.Field stripping isn't important for me its just an afterthought that i could add sights/silencers/GL's etc.I've looked at airsoft and they seem alright but i like all the tiny details and id like to be able to put inert rounds in a mag and cock it.
    Also can replicas or new spec deacts be cocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I dont know about de-acts as I dont own one.
    Have a replica pistol and it will also you to rack the slide,
    load a mag with inert rounds but it wont chamber them as the chamber/barell
    is either solid or blocked so I am guessing the same is true for the rifles too.

I dont know about Dublin
    If you want an AK there are two places in Cork that will sell you
    a hulking great heavy metal and wood replica. I dont think they are 100% full size
    though. (80 Euros was the cost last time I saw one)

(You can also buy an airsoft and later buy real wood "furnature" to make
    it heavier and more realsitic feeling)

Both Shops are in North Main Street in Cork.
    One sells replicas/cheap swords etc and there is always a (Real) black cat
    on the Window of the shop. They've had an AK that has not sold in years
    on the shop window covered in cat hair. I went down there a about a month
    or two ago to buy is and accidently discovered that another shop down the road
    was selling them for cheaper. ( they dont take credit cards)

Mmmad in Cork (30 seconds walk from first shop mentioned) have both replicas and airsoft and various things but the guys over on the other board
    I mentioned earlier dont like the retailer very much as they have been known to sell realistic gun like objects to Kids which is pretty much irresponsible and only feeds
    the anti gun nuts that want to deprive everyone both into real shooting and airsoft sports
    of their enjoyment of their chosen sport &or hobby.

~B

Ah I see,The replicas are wat im looking for now if I could only find a place in Dublin or even online that does them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Only old-spec deacts can be cocked, dry-fired and field-stripped.

EDIT: But even with those you wouldn't necessarily be able to put any inert rounds into them as most have (should have) their barrel blocked/sealed at the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

bullets wrote:

Mmmad in Cork (30 seconds walk from first shop mentioned) have both replicas and airsoft and various things but the guys over on the other board
    I mentioned earlier dont like the retailer very much as they have been known to sell realistic gun like objects to Kids which is pretty much irresponsible and only feeds
    the anti gun nuts that want to deprive everyone both into real shooting and airsoft sports
    of their enjoyment of their chosen sport &or hobby.

~B

I totally agree there. Stay away from that shop.

Now that I think about it they never did email me back or remove the 'fun for all ages' from the mac 11 for sale on their site.

I didnt mean chamber the rounds just have in mag for realism.I dont need to be able to dry-fire or field strip the replica.And mmmad.ie only have 2 replica pistols for sale nothing bigger

Master of the Universe

#Smokey# wrote:
    And mmmad.ie only have 2 replica pistols for sale nothing bigger

Have you not seen their website? They're selling a selection of CYMA mp5 AEGs for €200 last time I checked. They're not worth anything passed €100.

I'm also pretty sure the shotgun they're selling for €100 is the same one for sale on RSOV for under €20.

Anyway, for fear of this being sent to the airsoft forum, I will now shut up!

As i've said i'm not interested in AEG's or any other airsofts at the moment just a replica

Would it be against the rules to sell one here on boards?

Master of the Universe

#Smokey# wrote:
    As i've said i'm not interested in AEG's or any other airsofts at the moment just a replica

An airsoft gun is a replica....? What are you trying to replicate exactly? If you just want the exterior then an airsoft is perfect...?

:confused:

How about a deactivated airsoft? :D

lol i should have said a replica which has the interior of the gun its replicating also to add to the realism.And i want to have a mag of inert rounds also and dont think airsoft bb's will cut it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

#Smokey# wrote:
    lol i should have said a replica which has the interior of the gun its replicating also to add to the realism.And i want to have a mag of inert rounds also and dont think airsoft bb's will cut it :D

Forgive my apparent ignorance, but what is your modus operandi?

I am very curious why you want/need a de-act ak and inert rounds.

The fact that an airsoft will not satisfy your needs, what do you really want this for?

Please enlighten us as to why you want this item?

I fully agree with the comment by Civdef on the other thread that de-acts are not related to sports shooting and personally I cant see the attraction of having a 'gun' if it cant shoot...

It leans a little too close to the Walter Mitty brigade for my liking and I feel that this mindset has nothing to add to legitimate shooters and their sport as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just one addendum to this, and that's to point out that you must be very careful of inert rounds, because if they are not obviously deactivated (hole drilled in the base or side) you could be charged with possession of ammunition without a licence.

Probably won't get convicted but you will spend an anxious time waiting for your case to be heard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement