Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Travel Essentials on Ebay

Options
  • 14-08-2007 6:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to get myself kitted out with travel essentials for driving abroad, the whole lot, whatever is legally required and anything else that would be a good idea. Only thing is, in terms of first aid kits and a decent but affordable fire extinguisher, I don't really have a clue and there's so many on Ebay it's hard to know. So I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of decent products at decent prices, from decent sellers on Ebay:)

Here's what I can think of that's needed anyway:

First Aid Kid
    Fire Extinguisher
    Spare Bulbs
    Headlamp Converters
    Warning Triangle
    High Visibility Jacket

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

flares? (the ones that help you get assistance if you have a problem in the middle of nowhere, not the 1970's trousers)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check the front of travel atlases like Phillips or Michelin - they may just have such a section. Tehy might also detail local travel radio stations.

I suspect flares may be a problem as they are a safety / fire risk, especially in the wrong ahnds / on a ferry.

If you need glasses, some countries insist that you carry spares.

Sun glasses.

A blanket.

Spare fuses? Oil? Rags for cleaning.

Water (for you and vehicle) / some food.

Something to lie on / kneel on when inspecting underside of car / changing wheels.

Change of shoes / socks / wellies for wet weather.

Maps.

Spare key.

Copy of insurance, vehicle documents and travel documents.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

AA/RAC European Breakdown Assistance....

Worth every cent it will cost unless you have a new car with European Manufacturers Warranty

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Requirements depend on the country Cormie, and do vary from place to place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

a torch may come in handy?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A nice friendly girl, in case of long waiting time or traffic jams ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

C_Breeze wrote:
    a torch may come in handy?
    If only for beating people over the head. Maglites are great for bringing road rage incidents to a swift end and are unlikely to cause problems at checkpoints. I am joking of course, I swear.;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ballooba wrote:
    If only for beating people over the head. Maglites are great for bringing road rage incidents to a swift end and are unlikely to cause problems at checkpoints. I am joking of course, I swear.;) :D

Just make sure it has working batteries in it;)

We forgot "wheel chains and/or winter tyres"

Interesting that Radar Detectors are marked "F" for every country, but the AA forget to mention F = Forbidden. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is it necessary to bring insurance and registration certificate or will the window displays suffice for France?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cormie wrote: »
    Is it necessary to bring insurance and registration certificate or will the window displays suffice for France?

Bring everything then you'll be OK. Wouldn't it be better to have Insurance, reg and DOE and not need them. AFAIK you do need insurance cert anyway, as the thing on the window isn't even proof of insurance here. Why else do you have to produce your cert.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Bring everything then you'll be OK.
    And keep copies in a safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Boo to cormie for digging up an old thread - even if it is one (of oh so many) of his own.

Check with your Insurance Co. if you need a green card (this is an insurance thingy before you ask). Don't ask here what it is - ring the effing company!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement