Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

Options
  • 14-08-2007 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Probably setting myself up for a bashing here but:
    What's the story with insurance for flying model planes? I'm fairly new to the hobby, and decided (rightly or wrongly) to teach myself. Bought all I needed, got good advice from everyone I could, got a couple of hours training from an experienced friend and took it from there.
    Didn't want to join a club because it sounded too "regulated" (for the want of a better word), and it basically meant more money to share a field with others. I asked the local farmer for permission, and got it, and can now fly from my own back garden over his land in a rural area.
    The subject of insurance came up in a conversation with (another) friend so I decided to investigate. It seems MACI offer insurance for €60 pa only if you're part of a recognised club, and even then it only covers you to fly at the club's site! I think they also provide insurance to individuals but again only to fly at recognised sites. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, it's what I picked up from a brief look at the MACI web-site.
    I have three questions:
    1. Can I get insurance to fly at home, to cover damage to property in the case of a crash?
    2. What is the point of only covering flight at a site when a plane could (in theory) travel for miles from that site in the event of control loss, and cause damage at a point far distant from there?
    3. Does the cert A and cert B for pilots have any bearing on the insurance or is this just for competitions?
    Thanks,
    r011in

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

MACI have an "Associate Membership". This is aimed at looking after model fliers in the farming comunity, where the flying will be over private land, rather than a registered flying site.
    The 3rd part cover that associate membership gives might suit your needs. Once you have it, you would automatically be covered on the club flying sites too, if attending as an invited guest, rather than as a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Thanks Coolwings, didn't realise that. I'll check it out later in the week.

Advertisement