Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house build - Network Setup

Options
  • 14-08-2007 9:43am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're currently at first fix stage so want to make sure I get everything in now for to network the house. What I want to know is the best way to get all ports working the way I want and also be able to choose between network or phone for each port? Currently there's around 14 Cat5e cables running from the different rooms back to a comms room. The Phone line will also be run back to this room from the Eircom point outside the house. I need to know what equipment I need to allow me to choose which ports in the house will be for net and which are for phone and be able to switch them around if needed. Can regular switches accept phone connections or do you need a special switch for this? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

You need a patch panel, all the cabling from around the house would be terminated here, from here decide how everything gets wired up, and easily change it by simply plugging a cable out of one port and into another.

You can't put your phone cables into the switch. What type of phone system are you going to get?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I just want to be able to use any port in the house for either data or voice. Would I need some sort of phone system for this to work or can you just plug the phone line into the panel and distribute it that way? There'll only be the 1 line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Yea, that'll work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

While your at it wire it for multi room audio/video... cat 5e fom your central point to every room beside the light switch and speaker wire from every room to center point..Bring all your video cables RG6 fom every room to your central point also... dont forget run an RG6 to your attic for your Sky dish.. and a second one for terrestial tv.. and a third one for a second sky box.. It goes on and on..But you'd be pretty well covered at that..:)

Advertisement