Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Duffy 10m - this Saturday

• 14-08-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭

Any other boardsies taking part ?

Not sure what way to approach it yet.
    On one hand I could enjoy it and finish around 1hr 35 ish.
    On the other hand to get under 2hrs for a 1/2 marathons I'd want to be looking at 1hr 25 or under right ?

Everything is geared to the Marathon at the moment so not bothered with the time too much, whats important is I feel as good finishing as I did starting, which I am at the moment with 9-10min miles during training.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I'm running this Saturday then off to the Rolling Stones gig after!

I ran last year's around 1 hour 25 mins. Aiming for closer to 1 hour 20 mins this time.

My advice would be to ease into the first 2 or 3 miles and see how you feel then. If you feel you can up the pace do it but stay comfortable. If your goal is completing the marathon the most important thing is putting in the hard miles at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ohyeah

Have you got your number posted to you or by email yet?

i signed up for the three races last month, but have nothing sent to me yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yeah, I'll be there. Aiming for marathon as well but behind on the training, so I'll be taking it easy. As yer, man said I'll take it easy for a few miles, see how feel about speeding up.

I applied about a month ago as well (online), and have received nothing in the post! I presumed I'd have to pick everything up in Castlenock College (which is a pain in the arse). I pity those who can't drive there, I remember having to cycle about 15 miles to Castlenock a few years ago, then cycle back in a hurry just in time for the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I'm running this as part of my marathon training.

Whats the story so, we have to go to Castleknock college for race the number?

Is the race start far from there? Will there be a place to leave bags there?

Should spectating friends just go to phoenix park?

Sorry but i'm horribly confused, i dont know dublin at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

you need to register and collect your number in Castleknock college, after that its a 10/15 min walk to the start in the phoenix park.

There are tents at the start where you can keep your bag.

I did the Adidas 5 mile a couple of weeks and it all ran very smoothly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

redved wrote:
    you need to register and collect your number in Castleknock college, after that its a 10/15 min walk to the start in the phoenix park.

There are tents at the start where you can keep your bag.

oh good good. what time do you recommend going to reg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Yup, register between 8:30 and 9:00am to avoid the queues, also park early and close to the gate/lane at the college in Castleknock to get out after.

Bags at the finish line, appeared to be supervised?

Anyone know how hilly parts of the course are? There a map of it here, but without elevation contours. I know the main road down the middle of the park is straight and flat, but from previous runs I know there's a few hilly roads here and there.

i think the hills are pretty tough, but I'm not great at hills.
    theres one short, steep one at the bottom of the park, just after the two mile mark, and at about mile four theres a longer less steep hill. I think you've do each hill twice.

On the other hand its a nice gentle down hill from miles 1-2 and miles 6-7

good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ohyeah

But if they do not email us out number how do we know where to register?

at the 5 miler I was emailed a number, so I could go and que at that table to pick up my details.

or is my number the same for the three races in the challenege?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I assume the number is the same. I forgot my number for the 5 mile and it didn't matter, I was just able to look it up on a board that they had.
    m83 wrote:
    Should spectating friends just go to phoenix park?

Yup
    redved wrote:

Indeed it was very well organised.
    donaghs wrote:
    Anyone know how hilly parts of the course are? There a map of it here, but without elevation contours. I know the main road down the middle of the park is straight and flat, but from previous runs I know there's a few hilly roads here and there.

There's a steep enough climb from Chapelizod gate up Upper Glen Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

someone mapped it on mapmyrun.com. Do a search for it there and you'll see the elevation- be prepared to cry!!!!

Ah the hills are grand, nice views on them too.
    After I did the Bupa run I made sure to add at least 2 climbs into all my long distance runs.

shopaholic wrote:
    someone mapped it on mapmyrun.com. Do a search for it there and you'll see the elevation- be prepared to cry!!!!

That's not a climb, this is a climb (in crocodile dundee accent(

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1236226 :)

incredibly the results are up already.
    hope the link works
    http://www2.tds-live.com/wtrpg/language.jsp?locale=2057&messaggio=&paginaFrom=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Apart from the 3 mile marker being too early, it is a good race.
    It started on time - a rare thing (by comparison BUPA 10k is normally ~30mins late).
    My wife, a spectator, said that many people weren't at the start line when the ''gun" went off. She said that one of the top women started around 15 mins late! She might have been the woman who legged by me at the 4 mile mark.

Nice black technical shirt at the end. Maybe those wearing soaked cotton shirts will wear these in future races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Yeah, that 3mile marker confused me for a second. There was no way I could have done a mile that quick.
    Overall the distance was a little to much for me and struggled home over the last 2.5 miles. Been nursing my knees and hips since I got home. I guess thats what happens when you get lazy and don't train as much as you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Noelisgod

Yeah I noticed they made a balls of the 3 mile mark also. Lot of the 'serious' runners at the finish were giving out about it but overall it was a great race and was well organised. Finished in 1:18 myself so was very happy with that.
    Think it was Pauline Curley who started late as I noticed her legging it past me at mile 3/4. She still finished 1st in her category so fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Did anybody have a different time on their official timing, as opposed to their own stopwatch...my official time was different by 3 mins plus as opposed to my stopwatch & my heart rate monitor which both gave the same finishing times. Enjoyed the run, much different then training on your own.

Did you check your "real time" on the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

I'm pretty sure I broke the national record for that third mile!:) Enjoyable race - well organised, and I think the prompt start took a few people by surprise. I'm pretty sure it was Rosemary Ryan who missed the start, since her finish time is around 5 minutes slower than her chip time. We probably all could've done without the climb in the last third of the race, but if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun. Well done to everyone who took part. Roll on the half marathon.

They used the 'regular' finish times to calculate where you came instead of the chip times which are obviously more accurate.

Yeah noticed that. They did the same for the 5 miler. Quite annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Noelisgod wrote:
    They used the 'regular' finish times to calculate where you came instead of the chip times which are obviously more accurate.

The official time and official position in any race [where there is a single start] is your time and position when you cross the finish line.
    Chip times are provided as a convenience/service to the runners, but aren't generally used for official results.

I learned this when times & positions were calculated for the DCM, in respect of AAI team prizes. I figured chip times would be added up for the first 3 competitors, but it is always "clock time" that is used.

A similar thing happened to me in the Luxembourg half marathon.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

This is good to know, thought I was going mad,....good day overall, looking forward to the half marathon.

Had a tough morning of it, my and the gf were sick all day Sat and I only put 2+2 together after the run.

Struggled around in 1:35 but my heart rate was alarmingly high.
    An average of 187 = 97% of MHR
    Also my high was 197 = 103% of MHR
    This was constant from about 4 miles in.
    Felt ok but pretty dehydrated.

Happy out to finish in one go though as I saw many people who stopped a few times do their typical sprint to the line.

Onto the 1/2 Marathon next undetered and will be pushing the milage up from today/tomorrow now for the big one which is only 10/11 weeks away.

My official time was 1:38 but I got to the race 10 mins late. On my stopwatch, from the time I crossed the start line to the finish I got 1:27. Quite happy with that, especially since I feel I could have pushed myself harder.

Anyone doing any runs before the half-marathon? Thinking about the Sligo Warrior Run myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maikrohsoft

Hi all,
    well done to all of you for finishing the 10miles.
    I've finished in a disappointing 1:24 as I was exhausted from activities the day before, not enough sleep (10am is way too early for me... ;) ) and a very disappointing water station. There was just one race worse with water supply then saturday's and I think you know that I'm talking about. the tunnel run last december... these cups are so great...just half full and if you try to run and drink you will spill the rest of it and barp for the next mile as you were just getting air in instead of water...
    I won't do this mistake again and I'll take care of my own water supply for the half marathon as it has similar water stops...
    Is it the same way at the Dublin Marathon? that would be a shame...small race like achill provide you with bottles these days.
    maikrohsoft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Is it the same way at the Dublin Marathon? that would be a shame...small race like achill provide you with bottles these days.
    Bottles can be dangerous because they don't crush underfoot as easily as the thin cups so people could trip over them.

• Advertisement

I've seen the results on the website, but how do you find out your chip time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

these cups are so great...just half full and if you try to run and drink you will spill the rest of it and barp for the next mile as you were just getting air in instead of water...
    Is it the same way at the Dublin Marathon?

No, Dublin had bottles of water last year which are really great. The plastic cups might not pose as much of a danger under feet but they're almost impossible to drink from.

Unfortunately the Isontonic drink stations in Dublin are paper cups, no bottles or foil-type pouches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

Or you can do what I did last year in Dublin and run behind the stations grabbing a full bottle of Gatorade that the have yet to pour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

robbicosta wrote:
    Or you can do what I did last year in Dublin and run behind the stations grabbing a full bottle of Gatorade that the have yet to pour.

Or alternatively tuck a small straw into your shorts and then use this to drink the liquid (by squeezing the top of the cup to seal it as best as possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maikrohsoft

daymobrew wrote:
    Bottles can be dangerous because they don't crush underfoot as easily as the thin cups so people could trip over them.

I see where you are coming from but it is also dangerous to have alot of dehydrated runners on the course as they might find it difficult to use these cups and cannot drink enough. but I'll take care of my own water for the half in september anyway.

what did you guys think of the mustard in the goodie bag? I thought it was a bit to much to carry during the race and saved it for a typical german meal afte rthe race...(boiled eggs with potatos and a mustard sauce) but luckily enough that my instinct told me to check the date at the glas and I've spotted that my mustard was overdue by a few days... :)

I appreciate all the goodies as it feels all the time like opening a surprise bag as a child but the mustard thingi is something special. I wonder who might have sponsored this.. ;)

Maik

what did you guys think of the mustard in the goodie bag?

You mean that wasn't estrogen? No wonder my performance hasn't improved since taking it.
    I thought it was a bit to much to carry during the race

You carry your goodie bag while running a race?
    I appreciate all the goodies as it feels all the time like opening a surprise back as a child

Goodie bags are great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Noelisgod wrote:
    Yeah I noticed they made a balls of the 3 mile mark also. Lot of the 'serious' runners at the finish were giving out about it but overall it was a great race and was well organised. Finished in 1:18 myself so was very happy with that.
    Think it was Pauline Curley who started late as I noticed her legging it past me at mile 3/4. She still finished 1st in her category so fair play to her.
    Rosemarie Ryan started the race late and ran a quicker time than Pauline but Pauline was the winner!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

enjoyed the run, went for the negative splits route, running the 2nd 5miles 4 mins faster than the first. was my first 10m and am training for the marathon, going to go for 12mi tomorrow night. I noticed a good few camera men around the course, and photos up anywhere for purchase yet ?

They'll probably send an e-mail when the photos are ready. They did that for the 5 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My running had been going bad lately, hadnt ran in 3wks, untill the thur before the race, was out for a few miles with my friend when he somehow convince me to do the race! My only aim was to complete it, but I got around it grand, even managed a sprint finish to keep my time under the 70mins, I was delighted with that.
    Unfortunatly, I slept in and didn't get to the park till 10.00, I was abit surprised that they had got going already, as there was defo still a few hundred people behind me.
    The mile 3 marker was abit of a shock, I was knackered after coming up the hill, was expecting a 7min something mile, but saw 5:25 on my watch instead, if only!

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote:
    My running had been going bad lately, hadnt ran in 3wks, untill the thur before the race, was out for a few miles with my friend when he somehow convince me to do the race! My only aim was to complete it, but I got around it grand, even managed a sprint finish to keep my time under the 70mins, I was delighted with that.
    Unfortunatly, I slept in and didn't get to the park till 10.00, I was abit surprised that they had got going already, as there was defo still a few hundred people behind me.
    The mile 3 marker was abit of a shock, I was knackered after coming up the hill, was expecting a 7min something mile, but saw 5:25 on my watch instead, if only!

God it took you a whole 70 minutes?? That really is crap:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Noelisgod wrote:
    God it took you a whole 70 minutes?? That really is crap:eek:

:confused::confused::confused:

I know, it was really crap, I did it in 64mins last yr, was aiming to do 60mins, whereas i was chuffed with 70mins this year. Will try harder next year:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Was my first 10 mile run ever, did 88 24, on to the half marathon now! The footpath was too narrow i thought and a bit crowded on the 2nd lap

Advertisement