Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options
  • 14-08-2007 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you people experience sleep paralysis?.. i am not really sure how normal it is.

It mainly happens to me if i stay in bed longer than usual. firstly i sort of wake up and then i may drift in and out of sleep for a while before becoming fully awake. But sometimes i find myself awake/conscious but my body is still actually asleep. I am aware of where I am but its like my body isnt responding to the movements i want to make. I'm actually paralysed, not even my eyes can move. Its actually scary because its like i'm trapped inside this place and I try to wake myself up but I just cant do so,.. and it also feels like as if somethings trying to pull me down into deep sleep again while in this state but i try to resist and try to wake myself. For some reason, drifting back into sleep feels like losing control and been taken to a place where i dont want to go..

when i do finally wake up, i would be in a panic!..
    I could remain in this state for a while (its impossible to tell exactly how long).
    i've heard of other people having this but i dont know how many?.. could it all just be a dream??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No that used to happen to me periodically when I lived at home. Thankfully i don't think it's happened to me for a good number of years. It's very scary alright. For me I'd suddenly be awake but unable to move. I could hear everything going on around me with I couldn't say anything or open my eyes and it is quite a scary situation, I used to panic a little myself. Eventually and out of the blue I'd suddenly find myself awake and able to move. I know for sure it wasn't a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 unicorn2

This has happened to me for many years, thankfully it's been quite some since it happened but it is most definatly not a dream i know i'm awake and fully aware of what is happening but simply cannot move and the fear is awful it's like you know your not alone...very scary.
    Hi, I was just wondering if any of you people experience sleep paralysis?.. i am not really sure how normal it is.

It mainly happens to me if i stay in bed longer than usual. firstly i sort of wake up and then i may drift in and out of sleep for a while before becoming fully awake. But sometimes i find myself awake/conscious but my body is still actually asleep. I am aware of where I am but its like my body isnt responding to the movements i want to make. I'm actually paralysed, not even my eyes can move. Its actually scary because its like i'm trapped inside this place and I try to wake myself up but I just cant do so,.. and it also feels like as if somethings trying to pull me down into deep sleep again while in this state but i try to resist and try to wake myself. For some reason, drifting back into sleep feels like losing control and been taken to a place where i dont want to go..

when i do finally wake up, i would be in a panic!..
    I could remain in this state for a while (its impossible to tell exactly how long).
    i've heard of other people having this but i dont know how many?.. could it all just be a dream??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That's happened to me once, it was a really bizarre experience.

I had read about it here before though, so when it happened, I wasn't really worried, just interested to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Ive had that before, i was about to fall asleep when in my head i saw this kind of flashing image and the flashes kept getting faster and faster and when it stopped flashing i couldnt open my eyes or move or attempt to call anyone.

Someone told me its supposed to happen everyone once in their life, it affects mostly women. Either way it scared the hell outta me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

This has happened to me quite a few times and aparently fairly common ! Once you know what it is it's not so scary, just concentrate on making a noise or moving a limb, something specific, seems to work for me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

It has only happened to me once and only on one side of my body, Pretty cool though. I had also read about it prior to the experience so wasnt frightened

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I love the amount of people saying "I read it here before so I wasn't scared". Debunking for the good of humanity :D

As said, its quite normal, as long as you remember that, theres no reason you should get freaked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

Hi :)
    I know of two people that have experienced sleep paralysis and from what I've heard, it must be a frightening experience.
    It is a recognised sleeping disorder and usually has an onset in adolescence, but studies have shown that it is supposed to get better as you get older, I think from approx age 30 onwards.
    People can be snapped out of it when someone touches them or calls their name. Some researchers think it may be linked to stress so maybe that's worth looking into. You should definitely talk to your GP about it, as it is a recognised sleeping disorder.

This has happened to me so many times, Once it was really really scary I remember being in my room in my family home and hearing my mother and sister talking and moving around the room and I was screaming in my head and my body wasn't moving at all

It happens about once a week usualy i can snap outta it pretty quickly now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zillah wrote:
    I love the amount of people saying "I read it here before so I wasn't scared". Debunking for the good of humanity :D

As said, its quite normal, as long as you remember that, theres no reason you should get freaked out.
    This is why I have such a great forum. :D

Happened once, I figured out what was going on without ever having read about it. The looked it up, my theory was right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It hasn't happened for a fair few years now. It used to happen more regularly when I was younger.

Advertisement