Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw passat

Options
  • 14-08-2007 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

was thinking of buying a 04 passat 1.9 tdi is there anything i should look out for ,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I have a 02 one myself, and love it.

Check timing belt was done, as i recall, its due around 60k miles.
    Try and get one of the higher spec ones. They come with extras like climate control, all electric windows, 6 disk cd player in dash, trip computer etc etc.
    Get the 130 bhp version. Still get good economy, but with unbelievable power. Supposed to be the red DI model, but check in spare tyre well, there should be a sticker with a readin in kw of the power. 96 kw is the 130 bhp.
    Lesser bhp's would be 90 bhp and 110 bhp.
    All i can think of at the moment, but www.passatworld.com and www.ukpassats.co.uk and ww.clubtdi.com are all good sites to get tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

We have a 2002 1.9TDI (100bhp) for the last two years and has proved 100% reliable. The only issues we had were that the rear passenger footwell was constantly getting soaked wet in wet weather and the airbag light came on and a module had to be replaced at a cost of about €150.
    Also it seems to go through brake pads quicker than any other car we've had.

The fix for the footwell dampness was due to a blocked drain hole under the battery tray in the engine compartment. This took me about two hours of my time and no parts need to be purchased. This is a very common problem but once you know the fix, it is not that much of an issue.

We find the 100bhp excellent to drive but the 130bhp model must be even better!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

phill106 wrote:
    ...Get the 130 bhp version. Still get good economy, but with unbelievable power....

Hardly. 130bhp in a big heavy car is adequate. Nothing more.

Reliability is average. Engine is an old design, and is not as refined nor up to date as it's rivals.

Service costs are horrendous. Many posts of this on Boards.

Advertisement