Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking good location for powerkiting around Galway

Options
  • 14-08-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,
    I recently got myself a nice powerkite, and now am desperately seeking for a suitable place to fly it close to Galway (no buggying or boarding at this stage - just recreational).

I was patrolling around the city last weekend - you won't believe it, but its actually quite tough to find a spot
    - which is large enough (at least medium football-pitch sized)
    - is flat, has short grass and no cows/sheep or rocks on it
    - is rather open and not hidden between buildings, trees or specially powerlines
    - is in Galway city or not more than 30min drive away
    - is not occupied by footballers, walkers or nasty dogs

Good choices a bit further away obviously are beaches like around Fanore, Roundstone, Clifden or Louisburgh - but I'd like to find a spot close-by where I can go spontanously after work for an hour or during those rare sunny spells on the weekend without driving for a long time.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I've been looking out for the perfect spot too.

I need a pretty big space as my Blade 3 pulls me all over the place.

Best place I can think of, is South Park if it is allowed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Quincentinial bridge at about 5 in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

MattKid wrote:
    I've been looking out for the perfect spot too.

I need a pretty big space as my Blade 3 pulls me all over the place.

Best place I can think of, is South Park if it is allowed there.

Southpark is all right, the obvious choice but sometimes too busy.

Saw someone flying a kite from the distance a few days ago, could have been you I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I haven't been out kiting for ages, still waiting for the perfect breeze to master my kite, else I have to try and launch my 2 line solo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woody Creek

The large grassy area between the Huntsman pub and Lough Atalia might be suitable. No Footballers, overhead lines etc. I've seen a power-kite practised there before.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

Silverstrand

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Renville park outside Oranmore.

Advertisement