Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing door direction

Options
  • 14-08-2007 12:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a door I want to change the direction of opening on. Currently it sticks right into the middle of the room and gets really annoying. So I want it to open in to the other room. How would I go about doing this? Do I need to remove the whole door frame? or just the bit of wood that stops it swinging into the other room (whats the name of it and where would I get another one?). Currently the door frame is in a solid brick wall.

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

1. You will need to remove the door stop and place it on the other side of the door frame, as with the hinges and the place that catches the lock.

2. The door will have to be adjusted to accommodate the new placing of the hinges

Easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I did the same recently, how would you recommend filling in the old hinge marks on the frame?
    filler/plastic wood/cut it out square and "plug" it?

cheers

Cut out a piece of hardboard and pin it into the hinge recess. Then build it up with plastic wood. WHne its set sand down to the level of the door frame. Same with the old lock catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think he wants it to open into the other room, so the entire frame will have to be reversed surely? (op, then the door will be reversed as well as in the other room, ie if the hinges are on the left in the dining room they will be on the right in the hall - or whatever rooms)

The bit that stops it swinging further is actually a prepared 'moulding', not a piece you can take off (well not usually anyway)

You'd be mad to take down the door frame. That would taking down the architrave and having to repaint the lot. Big job if you not a chippy and a lot of scope for damaging frame, architrave, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement