Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payroll/Accounts course - help needed!

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just completed the ipass payroll course and as i have no experience with payroll software and packages i now find that no one will employ me without this.
    I am thinking of going and doing an evening FÀS course - Manual Accounts & Payroll

Modules:
    DAYBOOKS/JOURNALS - NOMINAL LEDGER - PAYROLL -
    CREDITORS LEDGER - VAT RETURNS - BANK RECONCILIATION - DEBTORS LEDGER - CREDIT CONTROL - TRIAL BALANCE.

Does this sound like a good idea or does anyone else have recommendations for courses in the waterford area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

Check out the WIT Adult Education prospectus, available from the college on the cork road - there is an open day in September when you can sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

My boyfriend did that Fas course and followed it up with IPASS. He now works in payroll in M & S. He found it really useful, he went in on a part-time contract after finishing but was made permanent in May this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GrumpyMike

Hi DeiseGal,

I sympathise with your situation. You pass the exams and you can't get a job because you have no experience. Of course you can't get experience unless you get a job - Catch 22.

How about this for an idea: Download HRPay 5 or HRPay 20 from www.aquilatechnology.com and find a small business locally with 5 or 6 employees. Offer to do their payroll FREE for 12 months - it could be done part-time if you have a day-time job. After 12 months you have the experience and should have no difficulty in getting a job. Who knows, you could also possibly have a client who would be willing to pay you to continue doing their payroll.

HRPay 5 is free for 2007. HRPay 20 is not free but I'd like to help you and I'll give you a free registration on either of them for 2008 if it helps.

Mike O'G
    Aquila Technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 candylady11

[FONT=&quot]I have started an S-corp. I plan to pay myself a set amount once a month for payroll. By the way...do I need to fill out a W-2 for myself? So each month from that set amount I will deduct the 7.65% and the Federal tax from my gross pay and cut a check for the net to myself. I just wanted to clarify that I have the correct understanding of payroll and taxes. I would really like not have to use a CPA for a one person business, except for the yearly taxes. I appreciate any words of knowledge.[/FONT]

Advertisement