Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things don't just happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

And if Catholicism AND Islam prove to be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Wicknight wrote:
    Who the f**k is Tim? Are we supposed to worship Tim now?
    Wicknight, I fear you are not taking this as seriously as it deserves. estebancambias is trying to tell us who created God - sit down and listen.

What has the world come to when a Leaving Cert student who rejects the State science syllabus offers to use the Theory of Relativity to reconstruct God and is not given the full respect and attention he deserves? Impudence.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

God is all-mighty, God created the unviverse, thus God created Tim.
    That actually does make sense, in terms of pro-religion.

And then what did Tim do? Have sexy time with Mary?
    Making loads of religous sense, how long to it take you to come to these insightful conclusions? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I have backed up my statements, this is not a debate about the success of Toys R' us in the last decade, this is about how the earth was created. It's an open discussion. I was expecting people to come on here and have constructive objections to religion, not resort to childish crap.

Can people please outline cleary their questions they have for me.

Do you think I'm the only one who believes about the creation of God. It says it in the bible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

I have backed up my statements, this is not a debate about the success of Toys R' us in the last decade, this is about how the earth was created. It's an open discussion. I was expecting people to come on here and have constructive objections to religion, not resort to childish crap.
    That is to expect us to make a kingly, silken circus tent out of a sow's earlobe. I swore upon my own open grave that I wasn't going to enter this thread when I read the OP. Must. Be. More. Disciplined.

JC-I have no idea about the beliefs of Judaism etc. in relation to what happens to non-believers(as in Muslims, christians)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Perhaps it could be that I believe in my religion and on the day of judgement God will reward me for believing.
    The above proves it, your entire arguement is fueled by this fear. That God will be angry with you if you dont blindly believe...
    Therefore you ignore all common reasoning, agrueing with you is pointless estebancambias!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can you post the proof the evolution is wrong?

Also the proof that god exsists using the theory of relativatey?

I have a Muslim friend, so I know about the Qu'ran. I have the version in English, but honestly I only skip to the parts where it predicts stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Or you could go back and read them - they're all still there.

edit my train is leaving in 10 mins - the same as the lifetime of this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I was expecting people to come on here and have constructive objections to religion, not resort to childish crap.
    Further troll alert.

I can post as much proof as you can that christianity is wrong.

No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. (1 Corinthians 2:7)
    This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time (2 Timothy 1:9)
    The hope of eternal life, which God... promised before the beginning of time (Titus 1:2)
    To the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 1:25

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have backed up my statements

No you haven't.
    Just another thing to add, God's creation is everywhere to see, just look at the Earths position. How is it that by coincidence, we just happen to be the right distance away from the sun? This is design, you must at least consider this.

No explaination of how this proves a designer was given and you didn't even bother to respond to the explanations given to you.
    Textbooks are nonsense.
    Another unfounded gem
    This guy here thinks that all drugs should be made legal, therefore your opinion does not count.
    Then you claim that someones opinions regarding drugs are enough to make their views unimportant. And you wonder why you are getting the responses you are?

1. Why is it so easy to accept that God has simply been around forever and not possible to accept that the universe and time have been around forever?
    2. Why do you think the bible is true?

What is the purpose of this board? Is it unreasonable to start a debate in here?. I will post the exact same thing on the Muslim board, and I will see the reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

edit my train is leaving in 10 mins - the same as the lifetime of this thread!

Ah, please don't Atheist, I'm really enjoying this and nobody's getting hurt! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What is the purpose of this board? Is it unreasonable to start a debate in here?. I will post the exact same thing on the Muslim board, and I will see the reaction.

You haven't started a debate, you started telling us all sorts of nonsense which was promptly rebuked.

Because it is my belief. I didn't invent this relgion like 2 hours ago. If you asked a priest, sheikh or a cohen, they would respond by saying something along the lines of 'God is infinite, nothing created God, God is eternal'

Why do I take the Bible seriously? Good question, just last year I witnessed two morons in my class playing football with a bible. The reason I take the bible seriously is because it is my sacred book, and is actually very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Do you think I'm the only one who believes about the creation of God. It says it in the bible.

You're either a troll or just not very bright. Or perhaps both. Do yourself a huge favour and expand your understanding of the world beyond what's written in the bible.

• Advertisement

Do you think I grabbed my comments out of the air? I have researched this stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ah, please don't Atheist, I'm really enjoying this and nobody's getting hurt!
    Alright, maybe just another 30 mins then. ;)
    What is the purpose of this board? Is it unreasonable to start a debate in here?
    Nope. But it is unreasonable to ignore the genuine comments of the people with whom you are debating.
    Do you think I grabbed my comments out of the air?
    Yes because you have given us no reason to think otherwise.
    I will post the exact same thing on the Muslim board, and I will see the reaction.
    Everyone over to Islam, stat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You keep ignoring these and they have been asked by a few people. Are you going to answer them?

Can you post the proof that evolution is wrong?

Also the proof that god exists using the theory of relativity?

Ahhh Aidan thankyou very much. Now I see, you people don't want people objecting to your views, that is why one of the posters said 'I said when I saw this topic, I would not reply'. No matter what I would have said, none of you would have even had a proper discussion about it. I'm not the problem, in reality I have been pretty outright and pleasent considering the unfair bashing I have recieved.

Because it is my belief. I didn't invent this relgion like 2 hours ago. If you asked a priest, sheikh or a cohen, they would respond by saying something along the lines of 'God is infinite, nothing created God, God is eternal'

Why do I take the Bible seriously? Good question, just last year I witnessed two morons in my class playing football with a bible. The reason I take the bible seriously is because it is my sacred book, and is actually very interesting.
    So basically, you think the Bible and Christianity is true because it's very old?

People used to think the earth was flat. Just because somehting is very old doesn't mean it's any more true than anything makes up in the modern world.

Try this question, and answer without circular logic, please:
    "Why are you a Christian?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Do you think I grabbed my comments out of the air?

It sure is beginning to look that way.

I have researched this stuff.

Really? Well you haven't really let us in on much of your 'research' so far. Perhaps you might share some of this great wisdom with us rather than just posting one line of nonsense after another. You've made a few bold assertions and have offered nothing even vaguely coherent to back them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Why do I take the Bible seriously? ...and is actually very interesting.

I do have to say, being an athesit I love the Bible. It's such a great book, the following are some of my fav lines from it.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Which means more or less everyone on this board is to be killed, estebancambias care to "cast the first stone"!

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

I just love books full of blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ahhh Aidan thankyou very much. Now I see, you people don't want people objecting to your views, that is why one of the posters said 'I said when I saw this topic, I would not reply'. No matter what I would have said, none of you would have even had a proper discussion about it. I'm not the problem, in reality I have been pretty outright and pleasent considering the unfair bashing I have recieved.

You're going around in circles. Start responding to the questions that have been put to you or just admit defeat already. Ignoring them won't make them go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Consider this
    The nuclear weak force is 1028 times the strength of gravity. Had the weak force been slightly weaker, all the hydrogen in the universe would have been turned to helium (making water impossible, for example). Leslie, page 24. Leslie got this information from P.C. W. Davies, 1980 (Other Worlds), pp. 176-177.
    At the risk of making a ruining a troll this is an interesting question. Why is the universe so suitable for there to be something rather then nothing? (as would be the case if most of the fundamental constants were different)

I know off three answers to this
    1. Because if it was not we would not be here to ask the question. This is the Anthropic Principle
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rossuk/c-anthro.htm

2. Because a physicist god twisted the knobs into the right values then hit the start button. This is not that rare a view amongst physicists I know. This is very different to the personal god who sets bushes on fire etc though.

3. There are the starts of theories about why these constants should have these values. Some string theory theories give reasons why protons have certain weights etc. The most interesting (to a layman, me) theories rely on Darwinian universe selection. Where Universes are created by blackholes and so those universes most likely to produce black holes are the ones most likely to have "baby" universes. In turn black hole creating universes will be selected for. It just so happens that our universe is near the optimum for creating black holes and so it is quite likely that this one with such constants would exist.

I am not saying that any of these theories are accurate just that scientists are starting to try and answer this question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Is it unreasonable to start a debate in here?

You weren't debating, you were preaching.

If you have really researched all of this, can you go back through your original post and link (or quote) your reference?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement