Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretches

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to work a stretch routine into my daily activities, before getting on the bike for commuting or otherwise. So far I am focussing on

- calves and quads
    - pelvis and lower back
    - shoulders and triceps

holding for 20 seconds at a reasonable stretch, relaxing, then a harder stretch for 15 seconds.

The book that I was reading for info on stretching also has a section on how menstruating cyclists should consider inserting two tampons for long rides (just in case), so I have kind of lost faith in what they have to say :)

Anyone care to share their regimens, or offer any advice? My general flexibility is terrible so I feel this is an essential addition to the daily routine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

AFAIK, you're not supposed to strech cold muscles, usually in the gym you'd hop onto the bike or the treadmill, warm up for a bit and then stretch. Should probably do the stretches when you come off the bike rather than before you get on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yes agree. The great thing about cycling is that it's a non-impact sport so it's kinder on all your joints, ligaments and muscles. It doesn't require a great deal of flexibility IMO.

Warm up with a gentle cycle, increase the workout as your body begins to warm up. Warming down is important too, nice and gentle keeping the legs rotating decreasing exertion. This and a hot Radox bath works for me. I very rarely stretch before or after cycling and so far so good. Sorry I lie; I roll my neck and shoulders as I tend to get tense here.

You don't see the pro's touching their toes and doing side to side stretches Jane Fonda stylie before a race :rolleyes:, they're all on turbo trainers warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hungrycol wrote:
    Yes agree. The great thing about cycling is that it's a non-impact sport so it's kinder on all your joints, ligaments and muscles. It doesn't require a great deal of flexibility IMO.

I find that my lower back gets very tight unless I stretch it. It's each to their own really, but proper stretching is generally recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Sometimes my next gets stiff and pains as I cycle long distances... Would that mean I could be positioned incorrectly on my racing bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Unlike other cycling injuries or problems a sore neck is a common one when first starting out on long rides. It goes away with time. I used to get a really sore neck when I was 3 hours in the saddle but then it only became sore after 4 hours and then after 5 hours and now no problem. The more sit-up-and-beg bikers don't have this problem.

Take regular breaks if need be to relieve the problem, roll your neck and shoulders.

• Advertisement

Sometimes my next gets stiff and pains as I cycle long distances... Would that mean I could be positioned incorrectly on my racing bike?

I got my bike fitted in cycleways for 30 quid. I don't get half as many pains as I used to. Might be worth checking it out.

You could also try flipping the stem, which is one of the things I did. It will give you a more sit up position (like what the previous poster mentioned), but not too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I find more and more that after my 20 minute warm-up, when I begin to find my stride on the bike, that I might be looking at 15 minutes before my calf muscles start to tighten, and they will cramp unless stretched at that point.

I'm beginning to thing that this should be stretch-time. Not very convenient though, may have to find another way of warming up other than a 20min easyish spin.

Windmills and jumping jacks ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

King Raam-did you buy your bike in cycleways?

I bought my first roadie off wiggle and i'd like to have someone look at my position on it. Do you need to book in for a fitting or can you just show up?

cunnins4 wrote:
    King Raam-did you buy your bike in cycleways?

I bought my first roadie off wiggle and i'd like to have someone look at my position on it. Do you need to book in for a fitting or can you just show up?

yeah I bought it in Cycleways, but you can get any bike fitted. I had it a year before I got it fitted. You will need to book in as the fitting can take some time. I booked in for 930 on a Saturday and didn't get out till about 12. It might be quicker for you, but when I was there the guy (Matt, very helpful) had to deal with some other customers buying bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Cheers. Gonna get that done this weekend hopefully-don't want to have forked out over 1200 quid and not have it set up properly!

• Advertisement

cunnins4 wrote:
    Cheers. Gonna get that done this weekend hopefully-don't want to have forked out over 1200 quid and not have it set up properly!

If you are driving in, remember to bring your bike shorts and if you have clipless pedals, bring your proper cycling shoes cos you'll be on the thing pedaling. Matt also aligned the cleats on my shoes for me. I had them set up badly.

Advertisement