Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of intelligence

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Tripper we have a good luck thread..LOL. Can someone delete this thread, why I made it I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

adam_ccfc wrote:
    No, we can't. Evolution is a theory, a theory is different from a hypothesis.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

/end of debate

I know a theory is different from a hypothesis BUT if you read what I wrote, it said that THEY ( The Bible Men ) think it's a HYPOTHESIS and NOT TRUE, and WILL NEVER be true. However we all KNOW it's a Hypothesis.

To cater for their argument it's fair to call it a hypothesis for the purpose of their debate and their Half of it.

/Debate Concluded.
    =========================================

I wouldn't say maths is 90% memory as the part C's require a LOT of understanding at times ( and some question B's ) and aren't so simple to comprehend, same with Physics.

Lucas I am your Father.

I've heard that more times than I have walked steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

esteban, I figured one more good luck might make the world of difference!

Remember that if you get what you want tomorrow it was thanks to my extra good luck out of the other thread!

You can thank me tomorrow.....:)

• Advertisement

What if I do badly? Maby your extra good luck was a curse!!!

*Stares at Tripper*

Ironically I would have done those little star icons, even if they were not part of your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Or maybe it was that you brought into play the fact that my extra good luck (which was a super good deed) was wished outside of the thread and thats why you might do badly!

Ah tooshay.

Okay, you can stop spamming the thread now...it's getting boring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

People who do medicine and subjects like that are generally dumb. I bet anArts type of student has a better understanding and will to learn about interesting trivial things.

Tell that to the dedicated doctor who saves patients lives on a daily basis when you end up in hospital with your stomach pumped after your results night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

'to boost their intelligence'. If you accept that intelligence is in fact measured in IQ points and I believe you do infer it in your post. (high Iq tends to corroborate with academic achievement) you should know it is impossible to 'boost' intelligence, i.e IQ points, it can of course be artificially inflated by repeated practise of test but that does not make a person any smarter! You seem angry at your friend's lack of thirst for knowledge, perhaps they merely do not talk about. And also reading about the evolution 'debate' does not make you intelligent, perhaps it actually makes you a sheep (considering the recent popularity of same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Sure I'm great at everything, music, sport, academics(touch wood), high IQ.

Well not exactly everything, but a lot of things, and you know what I put it down to? I'm not just "naturally gifted", as some people like to dismiss my ability as. Sure, I've had the advantage of perhaps being able to pick up things a bit easier than others, but that's only a small part of it. You know what it all comes down to?

HARD FÚCKING WORK

When I was younger, I took an interest in Maths and made an effort to understand every concept I was ever taught. In all subjects, I always made sure I was 100% prepared for any exam that we had in school and I nearly always did my homework.(This did change in 5th and 6th year, but at that stage I was capable of managing my own studies in my own way). When playing sports I tried really hard, and while I never excelled to a very high level, on whatever team I was on I always recognised in some way as being at least half decent. In terms of music I just practiced a lot, especially my guitar, since I love rock music. I taught myself it for my first 2 years playing.

I hate all this bs people spout about "different types of intelligence" and "the system excluding them". Sure, it's true to a point, but in my experience, people just aren't motivated. I know quite a few people who seem to have spent half their lives just sitting around and watching TV or something rather than making an effort to nurture their intelligence/sporting/musical ability/whatever.

Basically, if you want something, and you're prepared to work for it, you can do anything. Stop making fúcking excuses and begrudging others for their hard work. You're demeaning yourself as well as coming across as a whining idiot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

IQ tests measure how good someone is at doing IQ tests.
    They mean no more or no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

JC, good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I was never super clever tho I got about 440 points nothing compared to the brains of the class but to be fair they never had a life and did nothing but study.
    additonally ask them that might have required some outside enthusiam and well you're ****ed.

a lot of med student *I got 7 A1s* types are forcedto do it by parents anyway.. I've seen it. True they may be well paid but they dont make any decisions in their own lives.

Me .. I picked to do what I wanted to do, that is a subject which I like and have an interest in, the job worrying comes later.

Additonally Im not very intelligent. I just apply things in rather ****ed up ways. its a type of intelligence.
    being able to memorize 1000 reams of tripe is a type too.
    so is being creative
    all are different types of intelligence.

spurious wrote:
    IQ tests measure how good someone is at doing IQ tests.
    They mean no more or no less.
    I often see IQ tests degraded in this way. IQ tests are a measure of one's logical and problem solving ability.

I mean that statement is like saying, "How well someone does in sports is only a measure of how good they are at sports."

Being good at IQ tests is a desirable trait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Being good at IQ tests is a desirable trait.

For what?

What are they desirable for?
    They are not an indicator of academic success, or being able to maintain a successful relationship, or to hold down a job, or to be good at working with people, or at working on your own - or anything 'important'.
    What are they good for?

They may be useful to create false 'categories' of people, but they are one of the most useless exercises ever brought into any educational system. You'd think with the amount of data St. Pat's and the others have collected over the years they would give up testing school students using them, since they have shown them nothing of importance since they started doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

IQ tests?
    LOL, I took one of those tests and got something like 117:confused:
    I cant imagine they mean too much tbh.

It's a desirable trait in the same way that being a good soccer player is a desirable trait.

Naikon wrote:
    IQ tests?
    LOL, I took one of those tests and got something like 117:confused:
    I cant imagine they mean too much tbh.
    That's about average.

Though if it was an internet one, it means nothing.

I get anything between 110 and 160 any time I do one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's a desirable trait in the same way that being a good soccer player is a desirable trait.
    To make people think you're cool?

Essentially.

I don't understand why achieving something based on improving one's personal image is viewed in a negative light.

It's nice to be able to measure your talents, what's so wrong about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The IQ test is an extremely good indicator of a person's logical ability, their problem-solving, their abstract reasoning etc.

Whether or not you like it,that is what the IQ test measures, and people that have high IQs are more logical, are better problem solvers and have a more resoned approach to abstract,mathematical and conceptual topics.

You might say it's not important, but i guarantee you people with high IQs wouldn't choose to have a lower IQ bucause of its huge benefit to them. It can be an indicator of their suitability for certain higher skilled jobs, their ability to deal with a highly volatile business world, constantly adapting to deal with new problems in innovative ways.

Obviously a high IQ is no guarantee of success,but their are very definite correlations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sean_K wrote:
    The IQ test is an extremely good indicator of a person's logical ability, their problem-solving, their abstract reasoning etc.

Whether or not you like it,that is what the IQ test measures, and people that have high IQs are more logical, are better problem solvers and have a more resoned approach to abstract,mathematical and conceptual topics.

You might say it's not important, but i guarantee you people with high IQs wouldn't choose to have a lower IQ bucause of its huge benefit to them.

ROTFLOL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I love the debate here, in the end school is about academics, but that doesn't guarantee you success.

And University is a totally different whole affair, I know plenty of poeple who did exceedingly well in their LC and not so well in college, though I think in their cases [some personaly known, quite a few not] their were driven by their parents and teachers and courses, rather than by themselves, which is one failing of the system.

For those that think the LC is a perfect system you are dead wrong.

There are certain poeple who will get through the LC on memory alone, while others are naturally intelligent, I'm somewhere in between! :D

Advertisement