Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning on buying our first Motorhome but security is frightening us off.

• 14-08-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi

We are excited about the prospect of buying a motorhome for the first time for a 2x2 family.
    Reading this forum and some english sites on tips about where/what/when to buy. We are put off with the security issues in some topics.
    We had the dream of driving where you want, parking more or less where you want with no real planning, here and on the continent. I cannot believe that parking on some remote pier/carpark in a town may not be the right thing to do.
    We live in a quite area in a large town but we still have the alarm on at night and are very security aware.
    How will this equate to the motorhome? What is the experience out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

My 5yrs of motorhoming throughout Ireland,UK & France has been incident free. Rolex's experience is the second time I've come across anything like this although I have read about things like this in the past.
    Naturally you need to be security concious, use effective locks etc and park sensably. Some basic steps are requied to help ensure a positive experience.
    Bad people are out there and we'll always hear of such incidences. Personally I would say that my positive experiences far outway the negatives.

We park at campsites, carparks etc. anywhere we don't upset the locals. If a town doesn't want to provide parking we move on the the next town that does appreciate our business. Nobody has told us to move on yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In 17 years of using campers/motorhomes I've been in trouble twice.

Once in Cork my camera was stolen (my fault ...left the window open) and last year in Greencastle a bunch of drunk yobbos dindn't like my choice of parking spot at the beach and shouted abuse and threw clumps of dirt ...so I just drove off.

Obviously you don't park up in "the bad part of town", you stay away from areas that are littered with bottles and tyre tracks (doughnuts) and you park in such a way that you can always drive off without having to maneuvre around first.

Also you pick your spots in such a way that you don't upset anyone or block access.

We've parked in some of the most beautiful spots imagineable (on cliff faces, on lake shores) and I wouldn't want to miss it.

On the continent (especially France and Germany) they have a dedicated network of overnight parking spots for motorhomes. Ranging from a simple parking lot, to nice scenic plots with electricity and water/waste water facilities. These can be used for free or a minimal fee and are designed to attract motorhomers to certain areas. There is security in numbers on those places as well as people (sometimes even police patrols) keeping an eye on them.

Advertisement