Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My First car - My First Service - Advice!

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My Golf MkIV (00) 1.4 petrol is due for a servicing and i'm getting it done this Saturday. Its got 85250 miles on it. When I rang the mechanic he was asking me a few different ques like timing belt etc. It was done about the 52 k mark IIRC. Do you think i will need it done again or not until next service?
    What else may need to be done? (I'm guessing the pollen filters etc).It is running perfectly for me.....and i do quite a bit of mileage with work (averaging about 1300 a month).

Any tips/advice welcomed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The timing belt should be good for at least 40,000 miles so I would'nt worry about that this time. Some will happily let them run for 60k but you might be risking it.

Get the oil and filter replaced change air filter, prolly good idea to change the brake fluid if there is no history of it being done before. Don't change the plugs and leads if its running okay - in my experience if the engine is running smoothly and starts crisply cold and hot then leave well alone. How are your brake pads?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You shouldn't need a new timing belt. 60,000 miles is the recommended interval for a timing belt change.

As for the pollen filter, it really depends on when it was changed last. It may or may not need replacing. It's more likely to need replacing if you drive in a dusty environment (building sites, roadworks, etc). You may need front and/or rear pads too. Other things such as tyres may come to light once the garage inspect the car. It's really impossible to say exactly what a car with 85,000 miles might need, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fizman wrote:
    Hi all,
    My Golf MkIV (00) 1.4 petrol is due for a servicing and i'm getting it done this Saturday. Its got 85250 miles on it. When I rang the mechanic he was asking me a few different ques like timing belt etc. It was done about the 52 k mark IIRC. Do you think i will need it done again or not until next service?
    What else may need to be done? (I'm guessing the pollen filters etc).It is running perfectly for me.....and i do quite a bit of mileage with work (averaging about 1300 a month).

Any tips/advice welcomed!

Usually the mechanic that changes the timing belt will write down the mileage at which it was done in tipex or marker around the engine block eg. TB 52K. I'm not sure what the timing belt change interval is for VWs but on average if it was changed at 52k then it should not be due another change until around 100k miles. Check with VW to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Thanks for the replies lads. I reckon I will def need new brake pads/fluid....the past month or so there has been fairly loud squeeling out of them at times. Yes 52k is written on the engine alright, so I don't think TB change will prob be necessary for another 12 months or so. The fan in the car is a bit noisy too, so that may have something to do with the pollen filters (not too sure tho). Apart from that it is running smoothly.....its never once cut out on me or failed to start.

What would I roughly expect to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How long is a piece of string?

Assuming you are using an indy not a franchise dealer I'd say budget in or around 200 euro. Advance will do a joke 'full' serivce with no brake renewal etc for 180!

http://www.advancepitstop.com/index.php?id=241

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement