Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm confused

Options
  • 14-08-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

like 2 months ago i got banned from the animals and pet forum for some reason, even though i didn't break the charter, and it's pretty obvious, both using grammar and common sense that what i said was tongue in cheek. no message was left in the thread and no pm was sent

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055117692&page=2

note 'possible racial content' - it pretty obviously wasn't.... i did, after all say, "i *could say"

when i sent a pm to the mod that edited my post this is the response i got:
    Bond007 wrote:
    I issued the ban purely because I was told to by more senior mods - I will allow you access again in a weeks time.

Sorry about that but my hand was forced.

Faye

to which i replied:
    deaddonkey wrote:
    which mod? I want to write to them because as far as i can see i haven't broken any rules.

to which was answered:
    Bond-007 wrote:

Please contact an admin as the ban will stand as i see it. It is only for 1 week. Could be far worse.

a month and a half later for some reason i haven't been unbanned, so i send off a pm asking if i could be unbanned

this is the respone i get
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Hi

I have unbanned you. Take it as a final warning. Anymore complaints received will result in a perm ban.

Faye

i'm failing to see the logic train here tbh...

first the hand was twisted and he didn't have a choice, then it's only one week, then it's a final warning before a permanent ban?

lol

i honestly don't get it.
    i don't care a whole load either tbh, but i'm wondering why...?

peace out -
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

It might be a personal template message of the mods and they sent it to anyone they un-ban, so they know they only get one chance?

No need to flog a dead donkey anyway :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Any chance you want to post the PM you sent before you got that last warning?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you're confused go to PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

If you're confused go to PI.

Now ! Now ! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Maybe they don't appreciate your name? If a person called MmmmmQuarterPounder posted in the Veggie forum (assuming there is one) they wouldn't be too popular.

I wouldn't mind a nice quarter pounder now that I mention it actually......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Don't 2 posters use that one account (Bond-007) though. Maybe that's where the confusion started

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having read the original offending post, and the subsequent number of complaints you managed to generate on a single thread, the ban was totally justified.
    note 'possible racial content' - it pretty obviously wasn't.... i did, after all say, "i *could say"
    I disagree. Taken on its own, moderating it may appear overly PC, however your previous comments gave the post a more grim context.
    a month and a half later for some reason i haven't been unbanned, so i send off a pm asking if i could be unbanned
    There's no automatic unban system for forum bans. A week ban lasting a month or more is common enough, generally we say that it's the poster's business to remind the mod that the ban has been spent.
    i'm failing to see the logic train here tbh...
    OK. Complaints come in about your posts. Mod asks for advice on what to do. "More senior mods" (I'm assuming admins) insist on a week long ban. You get unbanned, and reminded that if you cause **** again, you'll get a permanent ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

you lost me at
    deaddonkey wrote:
    i did, after all say, "i *could say"

cosmic, that's just a way of saying whatever you want and then later on saying......
    deaddonkey wrote:
    i did, after all say, "i *could say"

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't it bad form to post the contents of PMs?
    That on it's own is worth a good kick up the arse IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Perhaps it's excusable if the person in question is acting in their mod capacity? Maybe it's not...

I think the user's just confused about the change in the tone from the mod but my guess is simply that the mod forgot about the original incident and gave a default reply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hagar wrote:
    Isn't it bad form to post the contents of PMs?
    That on it's own is worth a good kick up the arse IMHO.

Depends really IMHO.

If a poster hasn't been satisfied via PM's as regards a ban and feels they need to go to feedback as the PM route is exausted* then I feel it may be appropriate to publish PM's directly regarding the issue at hand. Posts can be read out of context which is one of the reasons PM's can be important before and after a ban.

If a mod is banning someone and PM'ing them the reason/duration etc I think it would be fair to assume the PM is of a non-personal type and could/may be air'd publically. I would consider it such anyway and word my PM's carefully and matter-of-fact.

* Exausted being 'Don't PM me any more take it to feedback' type message.

[/2 cents]

Advertisement