Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone/O2

Options
  • 14-08-2007 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea which would be better for mobile broadband?

Or would it be better to get a phone line in or get NTL?

Any advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Sorta depends where you're living. If you've narrowed it down to these 2 providers then i'd go with o2. They claim 3.6M while vodafone claim 1.4m.
    Haven't got round to testing them yet, but there's always someone out there that has..

If you can avoid it don't bother with fixed line. Why bother paying an extra charge, playing the contention game or discovering your 200 yards too far away from been connected to the bb exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

patpark121 wrote:
    If you can avoid it don't bother with fixed line. Why bother paying an extra charge, playing the contention game or discovering your 200 yards too far away from been connected to the bb exchange.
    Don't know where your getting your information from but contention is a much much much bigger issue in 3G broadband. 3G broadband is for MOBILITY if you dont need it for mobility save yourself the headaches and get dsl cable or regular wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Contention is controlled on fixed lines, cable and fixed wireless and meets minimum quality criteria. The Contention on Mobile is uncontrolled and much worse as the users even have to contend to get connected at all in real time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

So basically it seems it would be better to get in a fixed line broadband, as this would be more dependable?

I suppose I don't really need the mobility all that much - I would much rather have a dependable service at home.

So basically it seems it would be better to get in a fixed line broadband, as this would be more dependable?

I suppose I don't really need the mobility all that much - I would much rather have a dependable service at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

You've answered your question. Unless you can't get broadband any other way or aren't in a position to get fixed line broadband, avoid the mobile BB like the plague. It might cost a bit more but at least you'll be getting a proper and consistent broadband connection.

I'd be a bit cautious about going with NTL though. They're not getting good press on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

I got 02 Broadband today. I haven't set it up yet but I am going to do so this evening. A few questions: -
    • Can O2 boradband be directed through a wifi router so that it can be used on multiple computers in the one house?
    • Can O2 broadband be installed on more than one computer such that the USB modem can be used on more than one computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

ive been using it on my laptop and on my computer - no problems there...
    but i would really like a router as the places where i can get a better signal arent practical places to put my PC i.e. attic

Has anyone had any experiences with Clearwire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hot fuss wrote:
    Has anyone had any experiences with Clearwire?
    Yes, it's crap, don't even consider it.
    Can O2 boradband be directed through a wifi router so that it can be used on multiple computers in the one house?
    Yes, but you'll need to purchase a special router that can interface to a PCMCI card (and then buy a PCMCIA card to use with it) or buy a router that you can plug the USB modem into. Like this, but it's not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

About €250. Bit on the pricey side alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

O2 broadband claims 3.6 meg,but never reaches this speed maybe a bit over 1meg...........Fastest I can get here in Maynooth......at home in wex I only get GPRS at 57.6KB, when I check speed this only is 31kbps at best....

Can get this to run on my laptop grand....cant get it to run properly on my WINXP pc tho for some reason....any ideas:D

how do you find O2 broadband overall? I read with the 3 broadband it loses signal when there's heavy rain and crap like that.

Do you find that the O2 one loses it's signal, or is it just the slow speed you find a pain?

I'm finding it hard to get any recommendations for any wireless broadband at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

ive found to be hit or miss as well, if i get a 1 bar signal on HSDPA, ill get about a meg, i found a certain spot in the house however where i get a 2 bar HSDPA signal and was getting about 2.5meg, but yeah sometimes itll be more like 512......

Advertisement