Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable TV in Cavan

Options
  • 14-08-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭

is there anyone who supplies cable tv in cavan or what other options are available in cavan

i have sky but i am thinking of getting rid of it. i have no aerial or pipe connection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

If your in cavan town im sure u can get cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Smyths TV just down from Easons in Cavan town supply Cable to most of the town. It costs 12E per month for as many rooms as ya like :D

There is an installation fee for each connection, but it's a once off charge :)

Hth,

Deb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yogibear83

Does anyone know the number for Smyths Cable in Cavan?????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnd27

Hi, just packing up from Dublin to move to Cavan over the next few weeks. Not sorry to leave behind property prices, traffic, and a pitiful cable service from NTL.
    Dont want to subscribe to Sky. I cant find a website for Smyths. Has anyone any info on the service? 12euro a month seems very cheap. What do you get for this? Do they have a broadband service?
    Thanks for any help. John

• Advertisement

Hey John,

There is no website that I know of. It's now €14pm, but still cheap! You get about 20 channels including Living, mtv, channel 5, sci-fi channel, sky news, sky1 etc along with all the basic channels.

Basically you pay a connection fee(think it was €80 for the first connection and a bit less for every other room), then you just pay €14pm in total regardless of how many connections you have in the house.

Give them a buzz and they'll be able to explain it better. We have ours in over a year now and it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yogibear83

Hiya John,
    I have the num for Smyths its 0494331527. The price has gone up it is now €14 but its not bad. That €14 gets you around 30 stations, you get living, sky extra, cartoon network, sci fi, film 4, TCM and the terestrial stations. They do 3 different packages €14 is the cheapest, €25 (i think is the nxt) and you get an extra few stations incl. Sky movies comedy, €45 is the nxt which gets you more stations again and more movies stations. But there is a down side it costs €65 per room for installation i know its a one off but its still pricey. And no they dont do broadband but if you look around you will see signs everywhere for ARDEN DIGIWEB Broadband but dont have web site or number for them.
    Hope dis helps
    Yogi ;)

Most of cavan town is covered by BT and Eircom for broadband anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnd27

Thanks guys. I rang them thursday at 10am and they installed at 2pm the same day. I told them that I didnt need it for a few weeks and they said that they could install it anyway, and would just give me a months credit!

As it turned out, the house had been cabled already, so they just hooked up every room, and its only costing me E14 a month. I'm getting about 25 channels to every room in the house! I used to pay NTL E21.50 a month for only half the channels and they would have tried to charge extra a month per connection, and with no customer service.

As for Broadband, they said that they were starting a broadband service in a few months. Dont want Eircom and I checked out Arden Broadband but they are wireless which is extremely slow. Thanks again guys

That's great John :) I must call into them and ask them for some commission :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yes

Does anyone know if smyths tv is the same as NTL/Chorus? i Dont want to buy a dreambox if i canty hack all the channels, Will I be able to hack them with a dreambox?

No, it's not the same. There's no box, the cable comes in from a box outside, so you just have the plate on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny T

yes wrote: »
    Does anyone know if smyths tv is the same as NTL/Chorus? i Dont want to buy a dreambox if i canty hack all the channels, Will I be able to hack them with a dreambox?

Dreambox? Dream on.
    I'd say your hacking skills are as good as your spelling skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭notsobadinc

hi guys,
    im just off the phone to smyths and they tell me is €16 a month for 31 channels and a callout fee of €45 to tune the channels, connect the co ax etc.
    is this correct as my landlord informs me that there should be no extra fee involved as a connection fee has already being paid-not the cash thats the issue but i dont want to be ripped off.
    any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny T

I'd expect they're going to charge you if you asked them to call out and start tuning your equipment. As far as I know they'll connect you immediately without charges as long as you dont expect them to call to your house which is fair enough. I was never charged anything for connecting, and I dont think they're in the business of ripping people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mailtome

hi

What is the service like. Is it as good as the rest. What is the installation fee and is the monthly bill €12.00.

:):)

Advertisement