Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor piggy in the middle?

Options
  • 14-08-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Was talking to one of the lads earlier about a 3-car accident situation :

Car A rear-ends car B, pushing B forward into C. Now we all know car B is responsible for the damage to car C, but what can car B claim off car A? Can car B claim for the damage done to the front of his car? Can car B claim for the cost of car C's claim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can car B claim for the damage done to the front of his car? Can car B claim for the cost of car C's claim?

AFAIK the answers are both yes - the claims just follow down the chain - ultimately it was, after all, car A's fault. I'm sure in reality it could end up being somewhat more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was led to believe that Car A would be liable for all the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought each crasher sued the guy behind them, if you're the last in line - tough!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I thought car A would say to car B : "It's not my fault you were too close to car C - I'm only paying for the damage to the rear"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I thought car A would say to car B : "It's not my fault you were too close to car C - I'm only paying for the damage to the rear"?

can depend on witness's, how long skid marks are etc.... car b could say that he was far enough away from car c but that car a was travelling too fast and pushed him further than he would have at the speed limit.

car a will ultimately pay the costs of the lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

In the specific case I was wondering about, car C had to make an emergency stop to avoid car D, who stopped at a green light for no good reason. Car B then had to make an emergency stop to avoid car C. Car A must not have been paying attention or was going too fast and hit the back of car B.

TBH, I'd love to see car D get hit with half the bill but he drove off oblivious to what happened behind him. Has anybody here actually been in this situation? How did it work out?

Advertisement