Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus timing belt

Options
  • 14-08-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all i have Mileage 67.000 on my 2002 Focus. I am told by the local Ford dealer that Ford recommends the timing belt be replaced at 95.000. is this right.

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

It depends on the engine. Some (such as the 1.4l) will last as much as 110k miles between changes. The thing to keep in mind though is that these are estimates. The timing belt is supposed to be checked at regular intervals as part of the service process, and if found to be in poor shape, replaced early. My old Focus had it's belt replaced at 90k miles because it was badly cracked.

Many (but not all) of the engines are "interference" designs. This means that a snapped timing belt will ruin the top of the engine as the pistons hit the open valves. Quite often it's cheaper to put in a whole new engine rather than repair the old one. A timing belt is approx €250 fitted; a new engine is well over a grand. Do the math. It's not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

thanks for geting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

i have 1.4 as well. Think it depends on both engine & mechanic, but my local ford mechanic advised me that 80k would be changing point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Offically 100mls or Five years..Oh nd get the tensioner replaced aswell.

Advertisement