Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 BB and Online Gaming

Options
  • 14-08-2007 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anyone used any online games over HSDPA on the O2 broadband?

This was possible with 3 broadband until a recent 'upgrade'. I am wondering if it is possible with O2. It should be unless they have some unusual restrictions.

Also, does 3G coverage with them automatically mean HSDPA connection is possible. The guy in one of their stores says it does, but is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its possible but wont work very well, If first person shooters or games that require low ping are your thing don't bother. None of the mobile offerings are really for gamers. the only reason why anybody should think to get them is if they need MOBILITY or are stuck in dialup land, they just cant compete with fixed broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

Yeah, I am only interested in MMORPG's E.g. LOTRO. I was playing this fine on 3 BB with pings of 120-180 ms, but since their 'upgrade' this is no longer possible.

I think they have restricted certain ports, or traffic.

I am just hoping that O2 have the relevant ports open as I want to switch to them. I realise the latency is poor, but it's OK for those type of games.

I contacted O2 shop and the guy says there is a 7 day return, but not too sure if he is right or not. I would like to know in advance if LOTRO will work, depsite the ping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Mullins07 wrote:
    Yeah, I am only interested in MMORPG's E.g. LOTRO. I was playing this fine on 3 BB with pings of 120-180 ms, but since their 'upgrade' this is no longer possible.

I think they have restricted certain ports, or traffic.

I am just hoping that O2 have the relevant ports open as I want to switch to them. I realise the latency is poor, but it's OK for those type of games.

I contacted O2 shop and the guy says there is a 7 day return, but not too sure if he is right or not. I would like to know in advance if LOTRO will work, depsite the ping times.
    I think if there is a problem with gaming on 3 (other than relaibility issues people have been having) its probably because of 3 having multiple people on the same ip address.As far as I know they are the only one who do this. I play wow happily on Vodafone and I would think it works ok with O2 but haven't had experience with it so someone might be good enough to clarify. Even though it works fine for me its still nowhere near as reliable as a fixed connection and I would bite the hand off eircom for Dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Ive tried 3 and o2 Mobile Broadband in Meath. 3 was just terrible for everything.

o2 was much better, HSDPA connection was grand for online poker and games that dont require low pings. However for games like Battlefield or Counterstrike it was unplayable...100 pings & very erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Playing Supreme Commander (rts) on O2 the last week or so.
    only 1 bar HSDPA but no problems.

Was getting 3 bars last week and was able to play a couple of rounds of Day of Defeat until ping went over 150 and got kicked.

UT2004 ran ok but I got feck all kills. Dunno if I can blame low skills or high ping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mullins07 wrote:
    Also, does 3G coverage with them automatically mean HSDPA connection is possible. The guy in one of their stores says it does, but is that true?
    Not too sure about the gaming possibilities as I haven't used it for that, but in terms of the 3G connection type I've had UMTS and HSDPA depending on how far I was from the mast. If UMTS shows on the connection panel then I've only been able to get about 200-300k connection speed. If you're far from the mast you may only get this speed and that may effect your pings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement