Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rent ever negotiable?

Options
  • 14-08-2007 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a house share where two of the rooms have been vacant forever (in Northern Ireland before everyone shouts 'it's a landlords market these days!') and the rent is a bit outside my range.

Bearing in mind the trouble the landlord seems to have letting these other two rooms, can rent be negotiated at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Everything in the market place is negociable. A seller will sell at the rate a buyer will buy at.. if that makes sense :confused:

You'll do no harm by offering anyway, and I'm sure that the landlord would rather see the room occupied with a 70% income than unoccupied with 0 income.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd second what Connundrum said- rent is definitively negotiable.
    At the end of the day- everything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If the rooms are vacant at the moment- it means they are over priced- for the people who might be interested in renting them. Make an offer- worst case scenario- he/she says no, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Advertisement