Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting to internet

• 14-08-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

HI can someone help me please l bought a dell computer recently received it on Friday its a good computer which should allow wireless access to net but at the moment l can not connect to net have no idea why not l have a router in the house its netopia???? with eircom spoke with a Friend in work he was saying that l need to insert the serial no from bottom of computer on to some where on windows website and l will get a password that l need to put on net is this true and if so where do l enter serial no thanks in advance bye

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

First of all is the wireless turned on??
    Second, are you picking up your wireless router on the laptop??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I'd check first in 'Wireless Networking' (do a search on your laptop) that your laptop can see the wifi network that is setup ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cycling is fun

uyes l am picking up my wireless routre it advises that signal is strong any body now about this password thing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

If it's asking you for a password when you connect (i.e it's a securd network) you will have to ask whoever setup the the network on the router, or go into its setup yourself (which as you say is a page on the internet) and retrive it from there.

Thanks anybody now anything about the windows password thing though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You should have gotten a login page to access your routers settings, in there you specify a password. then use the same password on the login screen for the wireless connection.

sorry router setting page?? this is page that tells me about what connection is in the area is that right??? its that simple to enter such a password is it????

No in the instructions for your router your given something like "192.10.1.1" to login to and your username and password are provided aswell. This is the setup page for your router, in this you will have a wireless setting and there should be a password field where you supply a password (this is the one used to connect).

the password is my own choice or its predetermined or not sorry went it comes to computers im thick

• Advertisement

thanks will try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from the laptop forum because it hurt my head reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Move it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

The link doesnt seem to be a whole lota help !

First Go to Control Panel-> Network Connections and double click on Wireless network. IF your laptop can see the wireless network (prob called eircom xxx xxx xxx), connect to it.

The Netopia setup page is : enter http://192.168.1.254 in your Internet Browser page. It will tell you if your connected to the Internet or not. IF you are connected thats a good start

IF it's the encryption key you looking for it might be under the Netopia modem (BT has it set up that way). But It might be provided automatically

If its asking for an encryption key and you dont know, ask the person who set it up. Last resort it might be best to reset the Netopia (Press and hold the reset button with a pen tip until all the lights flickers and it resets)

This link seems to work http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=100&E=0000000000080725646&K=8635&Sxi=15&Question9127=obj(9127):obj(9131)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Find the CD you got with the router and put it in the laptop. Tell it you are installing via wireless and it will run you through the very simple procedure. Will take less than 3 minutes. It will give you a WEP key at the end which you will need to connect to teh wireless network. Take not of it and save it in a text file or something.

Advertisement