Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Lights

Options
  • 14-08-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I'm in Canada at the minute and planning a trip up to Churchill in late November. My main reason for going is to see the aurora borealis and I've read that Churchill is one of the best places in the world to see it.

Has anyone hear seen them before? Is it as spectacular as I'm imagining? What are the best times of the year to see them? Are they ever visible from Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

littlejp wrote:
    Are they ever visible from Ireland?

of course aurora's are seen near and at the polar regions, North and South

A link for images; images from orbit are also included, along with pretty much everything you need to know about them in one place:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(astronomy)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

slade_x wrote:
    of course aurora's are seen near and at the polar regions, North and South

A link for images; images from orbit are also included, along with pretty much everything you need to know about them in one place:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(astronomy)

I appreciate the reply but I don't really understand you. I've heard cases of them being visible in Scotland and was wondering if they have ever been spotted say in Donegal or Derry.

I had read about them on Wikipedia but I wanted personal opinions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've seen the northern lights twice in the past three years from North County Dublin. Neither sighting was as vivid as in the pics in the above link, but amazing to see nonetheless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

littlejp wrote:
    Are they ever visible from Ireland?

I remember a few years back there was a lot of solar flare activity and the aurora borealis was visible in Sligo unfortunately the weather was a bit cack at the time so you couldn't see it that well but there was an amazing picture of it over benbulben so yes it can be seen over Ireland but only when a huge solar flare comes our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The Northern Lights can be seen from a good way south of the North Pole. Going to a place just to see them, when they may not be there, is another thing though. As stated, your best chance is when there has been major solar activity. The Northern Lights are only predictable at short notice, just a few days. If there is major solar activity and solar flares are sent out, then we usually get alerts to watch out for the Northern Lights. I hope you see something, but it is not an absolute certainty, and they may not be as good as they sometimes can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I saw a spectacular display from Dunboyne, Co Meath about 5 or 6 years ago. I have heard of one occasion where they were visible from as far South as Greece in the past. As other have said, it's kind of a random and you only get short-term notice. Of course, in Northern Canada, your chances of success are significantly increased!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

littlejp wrote:
    I appreciate the reply but I don't really understand you. I've heard cases of them being visible in Scotland and was wondering if they have ever been spotted say in Donegal or Derry.

I had read about them on Wikipedia but I wanted personal opinions on it.

For the aurora borealis, it can be seen in the northern hemisphere, typically at its most violent closest to the pole and depending on conditions can stream across the hemisphere, id say there isnt a country in the northern hemisphere that has never experienced the aurora borealis :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

If it's Churchill in Newfoundland you're going to then you'll be as close to the North pole as Sligo is, which isn't very close.

I see the Northern Lights about 1-2 times a year. Then again, I'm quite far north - Finland. The best time of year, of course, is mid-winter, when the evenings are dark.

They are quite stunning. Make sure you exercise your neck muscles beforehand, or take an insulated blanket and lie down.

Have a look at this link - http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/English/aurora_borealis.html

It's Churchill Manitoba, on Hudson Bay and pretty close to the Arctic Circle.
    I'm a bit worried that the time I'm going could be hit and miss. January/February seems to be the best time to go but November is my only chance to go, plus the Polar Bears are all there having their picnics before heading up to the Arctic for the winter so at least if I don't get to see the Northern Lights I'll still get to see a few Polar Bears.
    Fingers crossed I get lucky with the weather/timing, I guess. Some of the photos I've seen are amazing and I think it could really make my trip if I get lucky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I assume that it gets better the further north you go. Would this be correct?

• Advertisement

So I've heard. Northern lights and all that. Plus the further you go away from civilisation the better chance of seeing them without city lights lighting up the sky. I think cloud cover has a lot to do with it too, plus the phase of the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was hoping to catch the Southern Aurora Australis while in South NZ, but never did :(
    I wanted to see them before I see the Northern Borielis, because I hear the Northern are better. Good luck, I hope you get to see it.

Advertisement